Injured Pullet

mrswalker

Chirping
May 7, 2020
A 3 month old pullet was attacked by older hens on 12/31. I wasn’t there to see it, but I’ve seen older hens drive her away from the food in the past, and her mama bird was found dead in the yard. I’m fairly certain the other hens are responsible. No animal tracks in the snow, no one missing, etc.

Pullet was in shock, very badly (for several minutes I was certain she was about to die, until she opened her eyes) and is in my chicken hospital. External wounds are very minor and healing well with vetericyn. I think she has a scratch on her eye, I’m searching for vetericyn eye gel for that.

My concern is her balance. I can’t feel or see any leg or wing injuries. She’s unable to balance on her right side. She’ll stand a bit, take a wobbly step or two for food, but otherwise stays still. No fight in her when I pick her up or look her over, which is very unusual for her.

Any ideas? Maybe still in shock? I’m at a loss.

You said the magic word - shock. Treat for it. It can mimic serious illness and injury. Not treating for shock can lead to death.

It's simple. Put sugar and electrolytes in warm water and let her drink it all day. Keep her warm. Examine her thoroughly for wounds, especially puncture wounds. Those would require an antibiotic.

Don't be so sure the mama hen was killed by the other hens. Did you see any feathers lying around the body? That would indicate a hawk or other air predator killed her.

If this pullet is being severely bullied away from food and water, steps need to be taken to mitigate this or she will die of starvation. This is how I treat the problem of chronic bullying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Something like Poultry Cell or Nutridrench 2 ml daily for a week or so might be helpful. Watery chicken feed, cooked egg or tuna would be good to offer every couple of hours, but fluids are best. You can buy Terramycin eye ointment at most feed stores, and if not a availabl,, use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day into the eye. She might have sustained internal injuries, but hard to know. Hopefully some time to recover and TLC will help. I would watch your hens for other aggressive behavior. Game cameras can be helpful to rule out a predator.

You said the magic word - shock. Treat for it. It can mimic serious illness and injury. Not treating for shock can lead to death.

It's simple. Put sugar and electrolytes in warm water and let her drink it all day. Keep her warm. Examine her thoroughly for wounds, especially puncture wounds. Those would require an antibiotic.

Don't be so sure the mama hen was killed by the other hens. Did you see any feathers lying around the body? That would indicate a hawk or other air predator killed her.

If this pullet is being severely bullied away from food and water, steps need to be taken to mitigate this or she will die of starvation. This is how I treat the problem of chronic bullying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/
Great info, and great questions. I have been treating her as if she is still in shock, I’m actually hoping that’s all it is and that she’s not in physical pain. There were no feathers lying around the body, I suppose it could have been a hawk? I do think the hens are more likely but I won’t rule anything out.

The information I’ve seen about shock is that it typically lasts around 48 hours, but can it carry on for a few days occasionally?

The effects from shock can cause a gradual decline days afterward. There is no firm 48 hour "rule". It's an individual thing as most health issues are. It depends on a lot of factors how serious shock may or may not end up being. That's why we treat for it immediately following a stressful event.

The effects from shock can cause a gradual decline days afterward. There is no firm 48 hour "rule". It's an individual thing as most health issues are. It depends on a lot of factors how serious shock may or may not end up being. That's why we treat for it immediately following a stressful event.
That is so good to know, thank you so much. I’ll keep it up and see how it goes.

Wanted to update on how this pullet is doing.

An eye injury became visible, with terrible swelling in the upper lid. I started with ophthalmic eye drops until I could find some Vetericyn eye gel, which I'm using 2x a day. I can occasionally see the bottom half of her eye, and it seems fine.

Her balance is still very off, but I've seen and felt her use both legs, and she spends most of the day perched on a treat block about an inch and a half high. My current suspicion is a very bad sprain. I'm looking into how to best help her with that, and to keep her occupied in her little carrier.

Back
Top Bottom