Injured rooster

Heather Adams

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
This is my splash Maran cockerel, 7 weeks old. It has always had slightly crooked toes since birth but today it is limping and its leg is all bent like something has maybe dislocated? Anything I can do? Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    703.1 KB · Views: 25
Thank you. Thats what I feared! I have put him in a crate on his own. I didn’t really want to separate him for fear of him not being able to go back but there are 14 others so he would definitely get more injured! He lets me feel it and doesn’t yell but to be honest I don’t know what I’m feeling for!

This is my splash Maran cockerel, 7 weeks old. It has always had slightly crooked toes since birth but today it is limping and its leg is all bent like something has maybe dislocated? Anything I can do? Any help greatly appreciated!
Do you have photos of him when he was younger?

The leg bending out like that looks like a leg bone deformity, probably Valgus variation.
He's a hefty fella isn't he?
Likely the leg will get worse as he gets older and gains weight and it's possible that he will not be able to support his weight.

If you can see a vet for their opinion, of course that would be best.

I'm not sure what you can do for him. Splinting might help or it could make matters worse since often the leg wants to naturally turn out more over time, it may be painful to splint, I just don't know.

He may learn to adapt and be able to maneuver around o.k., sometimes these things you have to wait and see what happens.
I would not put him with other cockerels/roosters. I would not use him for breeding.

Where did he come from - did you hatch him yourself or?

Back
Top Bottom