Injured Roosters

clayb226

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Missouri
This evening my kids and I let the hens and the rooster out for a little fresh scratching area, like we try to do daily, when the other stray rooster came on the scene. I did not think much about it at first, since they used to run together when they were both strays, and the stray has been in the yard several times, and nothing. Well, this time they squared off, and went to town. We are new to this, had chickens like a total of 3-4 weeks, and they were really fighting hard for those ladies. There were times they were almost right upon us fighting. They fought all over the yard, under my camper, across the road in the neighborsyard, in the neighbors yard touching my land, and probably some places I missed. Finally they stopped, one stayed under my boat, the other under my old truck chasis. The boys and I went to check on each of them, and they were very bloody, missing feathers, and had broken spurs. After the caught their breath, they acted like nothing even happened, the stray I claimed went to his ladies, and done some victory mating, and the other stray just scratched around my yard. Tomorrow, after all is calm, I am going to try to pick the rooster up for the first time to try and make sure all is good with him, he was pretty bloody, and had a broke spur. Should I take any precaution picking the rooster up for the first time, and how bad could the wounds be before I seek medical attention? Like I said, they act normal now. I will also try to catch the stray to see how he is, we also was very bloody, but he is white, and mine is red, so easier to see on the stray than on my red rooster.

if this happens again, brake up the fight! through a towel over one or spray them with water. they can do some pretty extensive damage to eachother if you just leave them to settle it them selfs. they can brake bones, poke out eyes, ect. some of the time, one even dies. in my opinion, you should try to catch the feral roo and find him a home on a farm where he is the only rooster. or take him to a local shelter.

At one time there were around 7 roosters running around here; I kept one, there is still about 4 strays, and 2 have met their demise. How cruel would it be to change the roosters out? The stray it fought tonight, I think, may be a better breed for sitting on the eggs.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be ignorant, but what do you mean by "change him out"? Like, evict one from the coop and move the other one in? I'd expect more fights, as the one that's with your ladies now will consider it his home regardless of your opinions on the matter.

Rooster fights are terrible and yes, I'd say break them up- if nothing else it'll get them used to looking at you as the head rooster. Tomorrow, when you approach the other guy, make sure you're not risking injuries to yourself in doing so! Throwing a towel over a skittish bird makes it easier to stop them in their tracks and swaddle them in the towel to avoid getting spurred/ scratched etc.

Quote:
Yes, that is what I meant, and I thought that may be the case. I chose to let him in because he fought all the others off, until they would not even come into the yard. I would imagine he has already figured it to be his home, and his ladies.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, and yes rooster fights are terrible, I do not understand how anyone could watch that for fun. We were so ready for it to be over, and glad when it was.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom