Injured silkie toe?

Drparrish1988

Hatching
Nov 7, 2020
Hello everyone, about 2 months ago one of our silkies developed a limp, we were not sure if it was an injury (nothing visable at the time), so we isolated her and gave her vitamins for about a weak and it seemed to fix the issue. But about a weak ago she developed a limp again when she walks. No changes to the food, she is still eating fine also. but I did notice a weird white bump on her toe that definitely was not there before, her toe does not bend at all past this point also. It appears to be about 50% larger than the same toe on the opposite foot as well. Can you help me identify what this is and if it is something I can treat?

Attachments

• PXL_20201107_225732420.jpg
    PXL_20201107_225732420.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 17
I think it's bumblefoot.
Check the bottom of her toe for a scab?
I attached a picture of the bottom of her foot, it does not look like bumblefoot compared to the pictures I have seen of it. But I do not know for sure

Attachments

• PXL_20201107_232726536.jpg
    PXL_20201107_232726536.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 13
That is very strange. It looks like a white band of tissue that goes around the toe. Could there have been a string or hair wrapped around the toe at one time that caused scarring? Can you examine it closely in case there is still something wrapped around it, and there is skin growing over it?

The closest to that white ring that I've seen in my flock is when a hen injured a toe, it damaged the tissue enough that her body's immune system cut off the blood supply to the toe, then her body built excess tissue to wall off the damaged toe from the rest of the foot, and it swelled sort of like that white ring and toe.

It's not easy to tell with your Silkie if her toe tissue is dying because it's black like necrotic tissue would be. But everything else pretty much fits with a toe injury that is in the process of auto-amputating.

Back
Top Bottom