Injured silkie toe?

That is very strange. It looks like a white band of tissue that goes around the toe. Could there have been a string or hair wrapped around the toe at one time that caused scarring? Can you examine it closely in case there is still something wrapped around it, and there is skin growing over it?
Fom what I can tell, there is nothing foreign there.

The closest to that white ring that I've seen in my flock is when a hen injured a toe, it damaged the tissue enough that her body's immune system cut off the blood supply to the toe, then her body built excess tissue to wall off the damaged toe from the rest of the foot, and it swelled sort of like that white ring and toe.

It's not easy to tell with your Silkie if her toe tissue is dying because it's black like necrotic tissue would be. But everything else pretty much fits with a toe injury that is in the process of auto-amputating.
I am confused as well, I am definitely thinking it is injury related just because of the issue we were having a month or so ago, and maybe something just didn't heal back correctly? When she was Ill the first time her foot looked normal, but when she would walk she would keep her toes curled up and it caused a limp. Now it's as if she does not want to really put weight on it.

The closest to that white ring that I've seen in my flock is when a hen injured a toe, it damaged the tissue enough that her body's immune system cut off the blood supply to the toe, then her body built excess tissue to wall off the damaged toe from the rest of the foot, and it swelled sort of like that white ring and toe.

It's not easy to tell with your Silkie if her toe tissue is dying because it's black like necrotic tissue would be. But everything else pretty much fits with a toe injury that is in the process of auto-amputating.
If it is auto-ampuation is their really anything I can do at this point?

Sometimes you can restore circulation by doing Epsom salt soaks regularly. I strongly suggest you do that since it looks like the toe might be saved if you do. From the way it appears to me, it could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom