Injury or disease?

sonnenmn

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
I have 2 Buff Orpington roosters that are very aggressive with the chickens and fight with each other. However, I am a little concerned about the comb. Any thoughts? It just recently got cold at night here in the Midwest so it’s not frostbite.

Attachments

• IMG_8899.jpeg
    IMG_8899.jpeg
    925.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8898.jpeg
    IMG_8898.jpeg
    896.7 KB · Views: 12
Peck marks or fencing injuries from fighting. How many hens do you have with the 2 roosters? How old are they? If a rooster in my flock is aggressive with hens, he is gone. Roosters fight, and most flocks can only tolerate one with 10-12 hens. I would separate one if you don’t have a large flock. I have had more than one rooster in a larger flock, the younger being raised from a chick in the flock. Once they reach maturity, they usually will challenge the head. If the younger backs down, they are usually allowed to stay as long as they don’t mate the hens within eyesight of the dominant rooster. Siblings will challenge, and the same thing happens. If one doesn’t become subordinate, they can kill each other or get very injured.

2 Buff Orpington roosters that are very aggressive with the chickens and fight with each other.

I am a little concerned about the comb. Any thoughts?
Injuries due to fighting is my thoughts.

The scabs will eventually fall off and the combs heal, but if they continue to fight, they will continue to be scabbed up. Possible some comb points may be damaged that they will round off.

One solution is to separate/house the roosters separately with their own hens.

Back
Top Bottom