Input, please…

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
Getting ready to integrate my 13 week BA and Speckled Sussex into my 22 week old flock of 2 BAs and 2 White Leghorns. I think I can handle the day integration (hopefully), but what about at night? My 2 younger ones have been in the coop at night with the others at night, but in their own fenced off area, for about a month now, during the day they are in their own fenced off part of the run. Once they are in together in the run all day, do they still need to be separated in the coop at night or not. Here in Florida, with the afternoon/evening rains, I have had to put the younger ones in the coop earlier than they would normally go, but I am so look forward to the time when they can go in and out of the coop like the big girls. I just do know about the first night after the integration. Keep them separated or not inside the coop. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
The bad news is that 22 weeks is a pretty hormonal time for chickens, and they can be a bit temperamental.
Depending on how they've acted towards the littles so far, I'd not separate, but I would put up some obstacles so it's harder for the littles to be trapped by the big girls, and check on them periodically during the evening.

Thank you for the insight. Two of mine have started laying. They have been ok with the two young ones, but the leghor that just laid her first egg today, did get a little irritated with one of them yesterday. I will definitely watch them during the day, just concerned about nighttime. I don’t want to go in in the morning and find something I don’t want to. Thank you for your input.

UPDATE…:eek:tomorrow starts the process of integration. I am SUPER nervous. So, my situation is this…My run is 8 x 14’. Part of it (6 x 4’) has been wired off and used for the 2 younger ones for the last four weeks. Same inside the coop. The “look but don’t touch “ method. I do not free range, too many predators. So, my question is, tomorrow when I open the coop to the run, how do I begin? Do I let the younger ones out first? This will be hard to do, as the big girls go out as soon as I open the door. Or, do I put the younger girls in their sectioned off part of the run and then let them out into the run? I have put in place lots of obstacles to give the young ones a way to disrupt any unwanted attention. Any ideas are most welcome. Thank you!

So, my question is, tomorrow when I open the coop to the run, how do I begin? Do I let the younger ones out first? This will be hard to do, as the big girls go out as soon as I open the door. Or, do I put the younger girls in their sectioned off part of the run and then let them out into the run?
I don't think it really matters which group goes out first, but since you mention the bigs want to be let out immediately, that would make more sense. Maybe toss down some food in one corner away from the youngsters when you let them out, so the bigs aren't just hanging around waiting to "greet" them.

Back
Top Bottom