Inside Chickens!

Yeah, I guess we could restrain them to their run and put a fan blowing into it... but then they would only have 12 sq ft per bird... I guess that will have to work during the summer!

Thanks for all the help!
bow.gif

Yes, all summer last year. It was hot and humid. I was doing all I can even with a fan, ice jugs, pool of water, dunking them in cool water, I almost lost them to heat stroke. My run was awful and I wasn't free ranging all day.

I put them in the basement butting up a few XL dog kennels with roosts. I had 8, 7 standard and one bantam. I let them outside and in the basement to roam. While in the basement, I had a disinfecting spray and toilet paper/paper towels cleaning up poop immediately.

They appreciated the cool air and were very quiet. Since then, we updated our run and we free range morning till night. I can now leave the run door open at night and I secured a fan in the coop.

Our run last year
600262c2-8598-a358.jpg

Updated run with steel roof and side panels. This makes a huge difference. We are also planting trees for extra shading.
28748422.jpg

I use welded wire and hardware cloth
aa57682a.jpg

This year I expanded the flock, let them free range deep in the cool swampy woods. I keep a wireless thermometer in the coop to keep an eye on the temp at all times. We also heat in the winter which is isn't necessary, but I'm straight North from you and it gets -22F.

I made a chicken diaper for the fun of it. The dog chewed it up shortly after.lol

Last edited:
Our chooks are allowed to run around all day in a 30 x 30 ft area... and they have a smaller 12x7 ft area too.. Maybe I am just being overly paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom