Installed a automatic chicken door

I like your setup. Always good to see folks thinking outside of the box. I don't wish to "rain on your parade" but I'll post my experience. Killing will be involved if that disturbs anyone.
I had a similiar setup but found that coon's have no problem raising the sliding door to get to the chickens. I witnessed a coon raising my sliding door just as easily as I could have one night. It had gained entry and was terrorizing the henhouse. When I stepped into the henhouse with spotlight in hand the coon made a hasty retreat out the sliding door leaving 3 dead chickens behind. It took the coon a little longer to almost climb the 6' fence but the 12 gage cured that particular predator problem.
I posted my cure for the sliding door mechanism ( Almost Automatic Door-Pop's Version on 8/13/2009). I don't think it will help with your current setup or at least I never figured out a latch to hold the door closed that didn't defeat the automatic setup. I could lock them in but had to physically go out to the henhouse to let them out.

Quote:
The chicken coop is in my backyard in town, I've never seen a coon in the area a couple of possums a few years back, but if a coon did get in it would have a hard time getting in the coop while fighting off my dog she is a good watchdog she on patrol all night there's not much that gets by her.

You did a nice job on the auto door! I'm still contemplating one for me. What is holding me back as I have said on other posts is coons lifting the door and also the possibility of drifting snow keeping the door from completely closing.

I bought the Drapery Motor too on ebay, and I got a timer there as well. I guess I got confused about the timer, so I called the manufacturer. I think / thought I needed a timer that would power up to open, then shut off (because if it did'nt shut off, there would be constant power to the motor untill it was time for the closing???) Then power up to CLOSE then shut off??? ANY WAY, I got TWO timers now, one single action and one multi. The manufacturer agreed with me about the constant power, hence the multi purchase. Only thing I got to do now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is install it.
hmm.png

I would think that if your sliding door was recessed about an inch in a bottom track too when closed, that would help...nothing to grasp to lift on, because everything is "sealed"...no exposed edges. That's how we did ours. Plus our door is fairly slick anyhow, a thick plexiglass.

Quote:
From stopping a coon from opening the door you can install a small solenoid in the door slide it would activate to open the door and deactivate when the door closed locking the door when the power went off, I found this one on eBay for $3.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnetec-CC-348...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45e2e23e2d

What if the BOTTOM of the door went BELOW say a 2 inch lip? Then a coon could not get his fingers under the door to lift it, and what if the diamond plate was smooth on the exterior? as in grind the bumps off??? That's going to be my approach, If I ever get offa my duff and install it!
smile.png

Quote:
From stopping a coon from opening the door you can install a small solenoid in the door slide it would activate to open the door and deactivate when the door closed locking the door when the power went off, I found this one on eBay for $3.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnetec-CC-348...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45e2e23e2d

You may have something there jwj. But the solenoid would have to activate a second or so before the pop door starts to rise. The rising door may put enough pressure on the solenoid latch to stop it from unlocking. Whats your take on this theory jwj.

Back
Top Bottom