Installing Coop Windows

we already established that the siding cannot go over the flange. the windows are already installed.

if it were me, I would get thin enough wood trim to fit into the channel.
that would be similar to the siding fitting into the channel.
it would look nicer , too, than butting a thicker board up to the edge of the channel.
that would really make the window look extended out.. would require a more precise fitting, too..

not at all, it is only about 1/8"
once the job is done, it will look like you did it on purpose.
If you have read my post, you want the tape to overlap.
If the wood does not cover the edges of the tape when you are done, just take a razor knife and trim the excess away..
the wood trim is just protecting the tape from the sun..

Thanks! I found a pretty good video on YouTube for the tape install. I pretty much followed the process shown here:

yep, u tube. I use it all the time.
I rebuild vintage wood working machines. and then I use them..
My next project is a small wood lathe.
good luck with the windows

If you buy replacement windows, you don't have the new construction flange.

If you read post 13 and 14 you will see that the windows are already installed.

If the OP had better plans to follow, as a new builder, he wouldn't be in this predicament ..

If the OP does like I layed out, the windows won't look like they are protruding.
If he adds 2x4's as someone suggested, then the protrusion will be over a half inch more than it is now, and it won't look like finish carpentry. it will look cobbled up..

I am done with this thread.. I had my say.

......jiminwisc......

Here's the final product :)
The interesting part was trying to figure out how to shim it so the trim pieces would lay flat since the nailing fin caused them to rock. I tried extra flashing tape first, but even after two extra layers on the tape not covered by the fin, it still wasn't completely flat. Then I found some rubber strips (designed to go on the underside of a garage door), cut it to size and stapled it to the area around the nailing fin, then put the trim pieces on top of that. That worked better.

I still have some caulking to do around the trim, but I think it turned out pretty well :D

IMG_0595 (3).jpg

Back
Top Bottom