Instant oatmeal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I know that oatmeal is a good warm feel for chickens on a cold day and I was wondering if instant oatmeal would be okay to use. Would the plain be best and not the ones that have those little kernals of strawberries? Any other warm snacks that are fast and simple chickens can have?

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    not sure about how much sodium the instant has. also the sugar might not be so good for them.
    Try the quick oats.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I had several boxes of outdated instant oatmeal of different varieties. The fruit and cream kind and brown sugar/ cinnamon, etc... I fed it to my girls last winter. It didn't harm them. It is only a treat, as long as it is not replacing their feed, go for it! Mine loved fighting over the berries and chunks!

As far as other warm treats. Mine get left overs from the night before. When it is cold out, I put the entire "chicken bucket" in the microwave for a minute or two before I take it to them. It gives them a nice warm start for the day.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've fed it too and they love it! Anything in moderation.

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Don't see why it would hurt to give it to them now and then.
    I use the oatmeal, flaxseed and bran cook/boil type. It is cheaper than the other brands, which is odd.
    They love it and sometimes I throw in dry cat food crunchies.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by