Integrating 4 -5 month olds

Teisha888

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
I have a original flock of 4 hens and 1 rooster, and I wanted to add a couple more hens so the hen to rooster ratio was better. I purchased two more hens roughly the same age (4-5 months) and same size as my existing ones. For the first week I kept them separated to where they could see each other but not touch. Then after a week, I introduced them to the coop/run. My flock have not accepted them. They are mean to them and won't even allow them out of the coop and into the run for food and water without pecking/chasing them around. So, for the time being I have placed additional feeders/waterers into the coop. Can anyone give me some advice?

I have a original flock of 4 hens and 1 rooster, and I wanted to add a couple more hens so the hen to rooster ratio was better. I purchased two more hens roughly the same age (4-5 months) and same size as my existing ones. For the first week I kept them separated to where they could see each other but not touch. Then after a week, I introduced them to the coop/run. My flock have not accepted them. They are mean to them and won't even allow them out of the coop and into the run for food and water without pecking/chasing them around. So, for the time being I have placed additional feeders/waterers into the coop. Can anyone give me some advice?
It would be safer if you could separate them a little longer to ensure no ailments. But in the meantime, you're doing what I have had to do. They were able to get out though to free-range. Is there a way the new ones can get out to the run or be put in the run too as that would help if they could all be together in a larger area.

They will eventually have to establish a pecking order and will all be getting along at that age sooner or later.

This could take several days. If you have one of your original flock that is the ringleader and meanest, you could separate that one out for a few days.

It would be safer if you could separate them a little longer to ensure no ailments. But in the meantime, you're doing what I have had to do. They were able to get out though to free-range. Is there a way the new ones can get out to the run or be put in the run too as that would help if they could all be together in a larger area.

They will eventually have to establish a pecking order and will all be getting along at that age sooner or later.

This could take several days. If you have one of your original flock that is the ringleader and meanest, you could separate that one out for a few days.
Thank you for the response. I cannot allow free-range as I work all day and there are too many predators (coyotes, hawks, bobcats, raccoons, etc) where we live. I have attached a photo of my coop/run so you can better understand the setup I am dealing with. It is on wheels so that I can push it around in the yard for fresh grass. The new hens are basically staying in the upper part/coop instead of being allowed by the others to forage around the run.

Attachments

• IMG_3639.jpg
    IMG_3639.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for the response. I cannot allow free-range as I work all day and there are too many predators (coyotes, hawks, bobcats, raccoons, etc) where we live. I have attached a photo of my coop/run so you can better understand the setup I am dealing with. It is on wheels so that I can push it around in the yard for fresh grass. The new hens are basically staying in the upper part/coop instead of being allowed by the others to forage around the run.
That's so cute! Love it.

I see though that it's probably not big enough for them to be together in it yet separate. I just thought if they could be in their pen together they could keep to themselves but get used to each other. The older ones would most likely go back to the coop first at night, while the newer ones would wait until it was a little darker so they can go in, in peace.

They eventually will have to all get along but I feel sorry for the new ones stuck in the coop. This really should only take a couple of days. Is your rooster bullying them too or is it just the hens?

Your set up is cute but I see zero clutter https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 to provide hiding spaces for the newcomers or to allow them to eat without the other birds spotting them.

One week of see but no touch might've been a bit too short as well. How was the flock acting around them at the end of that time, before you let them mingle?

How big are the coop and the run?

That's so cute! Love it.

I see though that it's probably not big enough for them to be together in it yet separate. I just thought if they could be in their pen together they could keep to themselves but get used to each other. The older ones would most likely go back to the coop first at night, while the newer ones would wait until it was a little darker so they can go in, in peace.

They eventually will have to all get along but I feel sorry for the new ones stuck in the coop. This really should only take a couple of days. Is your rooster bullying them too or is it just the hens?
The rooster too.

That's so cute! Love it.

The rooster too.

Your set up is cute but I see zero clutter https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 to provide hiding spaces for the newcomers or to allow them to eat without the other birds spotting them.

One week of see but no touch might've been a bit too short as well. How was the flock acting around them at the end of that time, before you let them mingle?

How big are the coop and the run?
There was just one hen paying them any attention.

Back
Top Bottom