Integrating chicks and feed

Melo D

Chirping
Jan 1, 2022
Fairdealing, KY
I have ten 8 week old chicks that have been integrated with the 14 mo old hens for about 3 weeks. have a raised dog coop in the run if they don't feel safe. I also have thei chick starter feen in there. They do get bullied a lot but seem to hold their own or get away. I know pecking order is a thing but sometimes hard to watch since I hatched these babies. My chicks seem to like to eat the hens food too so I switched to an all flock feed. I have a small feeder with oyster shel and or eggs shells in it. I see the chicks sneeking some is this something to worry about? I peeked in the coop one night. the chicks started following the hens in there week 2 of being in the run. the hens make them sleep in the deep litter and if they try to roost they knock them off. 😒 they are getting bigger so I am sure this won't go on much longer.

I have ten 8 week old chicks that have been integrated with the 14 mo old hens for about 3 weeks. have a raised dog coop in the run if they don't feel safe. I also have thei chick starter feen in there. They do get bullied a lot but seem to hold their own or get away. I know pecking order is a thing but sometimes hard to watch since I hatched these babies. My chicks seem to like to eat the hens food too so I switched to an all flock feed. I have a small feeder with oyster shel and or eggs shells in it. I see the chicks sneeking some is this something to worry about? I peeked in the coop one night. the chicks started following the hens in there week 2 of being in the run. the hens make them sleep in the deep litter and if they try to roost they knock them off. 😒 they are getting bigger so I am sure this won't go on much longer.
All flock is just fine for the chicks, I feed my entire flock all flock so I never have to mess with switching things around. Sounds like your integration is coming along nicely, try and be patient (I know it's hard, lol) and one of these nights you'll go out there and everyone will be roosting, not necessarily together, but they'll be roosting nonetheless

Attachments

• 20220405_200440.jpg
    20220405_200440.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210429_062135.jpg
    20210429_062135.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 9
I have a small feeder with oyster shel and or eggs shells in it. I see the chicks sneeking some is this something to worry about?
I don't think so. All chickens need some calcium chicks for growing and all chickens for body maintenance. You just don't want the ones not laying eggs to have too much. My non-layers peck at the ouster shell occasionally but they don't get enough to harm themselves.

the hens make them sleep in the deep litter and if they try to roost they knock them off.
That is normal for mine. I know each flock is different but it is fairly consistent with mine that the juveniles are not allowed to sleep on the main roosts until they reach a certain level of maturity, typically about when they start laying eggs. Until then I don't care where they sleep as long as it is not in my nests and is somewhere predator safe. I almost always have juveniles sleeping in the coop so to keep them from sleeping in the nests I put in a juvenile roost, higher than the nests, lower than the main roosts, and separated a few feet horizontally from the main roosts.

Back
Top Bottom