Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
Brooder gone, heated water stabilized on wooden block.

Brooder gone, block for h.water 001.JPG Brooder gone, block for h.water 002.JPG Brooder gone, block for h.water 019.JPG Brooder gone, block for h.water 007.JPG

Wasn't sure where to put this, thought it might do the most good here in the chick forum.
Yes, you can integrate your little fluff balls at a much younger age than you might think.

Prior thinking was to wait until chicks were at least 8 weeks old or of a size almost equal to the older birds,
so they would have a 'fighting' chance against the usual aggressive rejection of new birds by an established flock.
It has come to pass that many folks are now finding that integrating much younger is easier for all involved.

One thing has stayed the same tho, the new birds are kept in a 'see but no touch' adjacent pen for a few weeks prior to allowing physical contact.
This allows everyone to get used to seeing and hearing each other without having to share physical space and feed/water.

Here's a couple of key reasons why it works:
Tiny chicks are less of threat to the older birds and their resources(space, food, water).
Tiny chicks are a small target for pecking and fast as all get out - so harder to 'catch'.

For easier composition/editing/linking I wrote and illustrated with pics how I integrate chicks in an 'article' found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old
Post any questions here in this thread as I don't get notifications of comments made on articles.
HOLY COW! What a nice set up you have for your girls! Goodness, I'm taking tips from you big time. Thanks so much for you input. You are sooo helpful~!
Here's all I have and that' enough for me! Plus the babies when they come; If they come since the girls are playing musical chairs with the eggs. :hmm First pic is 6 of 7 girls brooding but I don't like them up there in the nest boxes. Too dangerous for babies. I'll see if I can fix up enough boxes on floor of coop. 4th and 5th pic are outside except for the area I'm standing in. This is where I took the pics from.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    615.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    553.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    816.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    790.6 KB · Views: 11
First pic is 6 of 7 girls brooding but I don't like them up there in the nest boxes.
I would break 5...or 6... of them.

This integration technique does not apply to broody chicks.
Tho I use the same enclosure for broodies to hatch(one at a time),
I just take the whole wall down 1-2 weeks after hatch.

Wasn't sure where to put this, thought it might do the most good here in the chick forum.
Yes, you can integrate your little fluff balls at a much younger age than you might think.

Prior thinking was to wait until chicks were at least 8 weeks old or of a size almost equal to the older birds,
so they would have a 'fighting' chance against the usual aggressive rejection of new birds by an established flock.
It has come to pass that many folks are now finding that integrating much younger is easier for all involved.

One thing has stayed the same tho, the new birds are kept in a 'see but no touch' adjacent pen for a few weeks prior to allowing physical contact.
This allows everyone to get used to seeing and hearing each other without having to share physical space and feed/water.

Here's a couple of key reasons why it works:
Tiny chicks are less of threat to the older birds and their resources(space, food, water).
Tiny chicks are a small target for pecking and fast as all get out - so harder to 'catch'.

For easier composition/editing/linking I wrote and illustrated with pics how I integrate chicks in an 'article' found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old
Post any questions here in this thread as I don't get notifications of comments made on articles.
I'm tempted to try your way of integration, since a lot of other resources I find means keeping chicks inside for extended periods of time and I'm more Pro nature ways 😄, however I have some technical questions...
1. My flock is a free range flock which means they don't really stay in the run. I don't see how they would come across each other often enough since the older ones are barely there. Closing them in the run for a while is not a great option, they get very frustrated and constantly trying to escape (spoiled with freedom 🤣)
2. What about cats and other predators (bird of prey, etc)? I'm a bit reluctant due to this, especially knowing our cat (kills moles, even manages to get a pigeon...). Our run is just a quick " leftover" dyi fence around where the overnight coop is. The only way I can think of is putting a dog crate in the run, maybe with some full coverage exit wire around... These chicks are getting expensive 😂
3. Can a mama hen style heater be left outside in their brooder (dog crate)? By the time they are 4 weeks it will be september, and the nights can get really cold 🤔 (probably around 10c).

Thanks for your feedback!

Sorry, @PalomaNova , I have no experience doing this type of integration with a free range flock.
Mine are confined and the runs are lined with 1/2" mesh to keep the chick inside the runs.

Can a mama hen style heater be left outside in their brooder (dog crate)?
As long as it, and it's power connections, are protected from any water, I don't see why not.
Hopefully brooder is protected from wind too.

My flock free range also, and I integrate around 4-5 weeks. It's a great time. At 6-7 weeks after at least 10 days of seeing but behind wire, I open the access to main flock area (coop) just enough so that little chicks can go in and out to main coop if they want (big ones can't go under the chicken door since its only open about 2 inches) Mostly the little ones don't try and venture out for at least a week.. then slowly one does, and soon lots are going back and forth. When I open the access to the outside in the morning, the adults all go out to free range and then the chicks feel more confident, and they venture into the coop for the day... they usually don't go outside to free range until 8 or 9 weeks.. They are smart enough to know where they are safest. So basically they just get to see eachother in the am, and pm, and when the hens come back into the coop to lay eggs ... but soon enough every one is together. I find that the adults usually leave the chicks alone, and only half heartedly peck at them if they are being cheeky and eating food right in front of them, in the spot they chose.

Reading through this and other threads I have set up my younger chicks outside during the day for the past week in a sectioned off portion of an open air style coop, so that they can see and be seen by the older ones. The coop is combined with a run and the whole thing is covered with 1/2" by 1/2" hardware cloth and is predator proof.
I am bringing them inside at night. They have a brooder plate outside with them, but they do not seem to need it (temps are mid 70's to 80's during the day and 60's at night). I am thinking of leaving them out at night as well, but did not think the smallest ones were quite ready for that (or maybe it is me).
My 5 younger chicks are 5 weeks and 3 and 1/2 weeks of age that live peacefully (for chickens) together in a mini flock, the other are a group of 10, ameraucanas, marans and silkies that all have been raised together and also function as a flock. They are 9 weeks and 12 weeks old. The oldest is an ameraucana that spends alot of time chasing the others around, but has not caused any harm. She is big and appears to be almost full grown already. None of them are "clucking" yet, but a few of them are close.
Question is when can I try putting them together? I am not in a hurry and I want to do what is best for them. I am concerned that Azula (bossy lady) may hurt the smaller chicks.
I was thinking of waiting until the smaller ones are about 6 weeks of age to try, but I am understanding from this thread that earlier may be better.
Thanks!
IMG_5284 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Hi What I would do is put Azula in with the smaller chicks. Are there a lot of them? I'd plop her in there and make sure you have a couple of perches for the littles to fly up on (not too high) and a hiding spot with water etc... and see how she does. Probably go smoothly.... then maybe in a few days open it up for them to all mingle?

Hi What I would do is put Azula in with the smaller chicks. Are there a lot of them? I'd plop her in there and make sure you have a couple of perches for the littles to fly up on (not too high) and a hiding spot with water etc... and see how she does. Probably go smoothly.... then maybe in a few days open it up for them to all mingle?
Thanks!
There are 5 of the younger chicks.😊

My only concern for 4 week old chicks is their susceptibility to coccidiosis. I would be sure to introduce them to all the bacteria in your main chicken yard slowly and continue offering medicated feed to the littles. That's the only problem I've encountered when integrating my younger chicks with the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom