Integrating young Rooster with flock of 4 hens

dle124

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Hello - we have 4 hens that were born in the spring of this year and all get along very nicely. We had a rooster born in August that also lives in the coop with the hens. The hens bully the rooster continuously. I feel bad for him that he doesn't stand up to these hens and is always looking stressed. Has anyone had this problem before and how long did it take for them to cohesively exist in the coop. The rooster has been in the coop since day 1 of his birth (with his mom) but was sectioned off. His mom no longer lives in the coop (it was the neighbors hen the took up home in our coop while her young chick was little but has since left). They are all together in the coop and the rooster is almost as big as the hens but he's just so afraid of them.

This is exactly what's happening to my two chicks I just integrated into my flock of 6 pullets. Don't worry, it just takes time. You shouldn't be too worried unless they draw blood. The rooster just needs to mature, at 6 months old. My pullets were born August 2, and not laying yet. Once your rooster matures things should settle. And remember they're most likely not going to act like best buds, just equals or like a roommate. My chicks are still very afraid but live peacefully and they are only a month and a half, born in the middle of September. (chicks in my profile pic. Brown is the roo, black is his sister)

I just got 2 roosters and sill,be adding chi kens to my flck in a,few weeks.Someone told me I might have to house them separately. Maybe hes just used to being alone. Mine are brothers and seem fine. I have 2 small dogs and Eazel has attempted to go in the coop twice under the fence so this may be a problem. I hope the best for yours.

This is exactly what's happening to my two chicks I just integrated into my flock of 6 pullets. Don't worry, it just takes time. You shouldn't be too worried unless they draw blood. The rooster just needs to mature, at 6 months old. My pullets were born August 2, and not laying yet. Once your rooster matures things should settle. And remember they're most likely not going to act like best buds, just equals or like a roommate. My chicks are still very afraid but live peacefully and they are only a month and a half, born in the middle of September. (chicks in my profile pic. Brown is the roo, black is his sister)
Thanks so much for your advice - I didn't realize it took 6 months for rosters to mature so that gives me a ray of hope!

Back
Top Bottom