Integration dilemna

graybeard

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Tipton County, Tenn.
I have 4 hens, about 7 weeks old, that are running out of room in the brooder...fast.

I have two pens, 1 that can hold 11-12 birds comfortably and a tractor that can hold 4-5 comfortably.

The big house currently has 3 hens, 1 rooster and 5 2 week old chicks. The tractor has 2 hens and 1 rooster. I thinking about moving the 2 hens from the tractor to the big house and, putting the young birds with the rooster.

I feel like this will work because, the rooster in the tractor has managed a flock with chicks before and was very good with them, calling them when he finds food and such. The 2 hens that would be moved are larger than the 3 hens currently in the big house but, the momma hen of the 5 2 week Olds is the most dominant of all. I think if I move them at night, it would go over with minimal stress to all the birds.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Have you moved anyone yet? I'm not sure I would trust a sole rooster with young birds, you might have better luck trying to integrate the new ones into the bigger set up. You would have room to make a separation pen initially.

Back
Top Bottom