Integration dilemna

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by graybeard, May 7, 2016.

1. graybeard

graybeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    Tipton County, Tenn.
    I have 4 hens, about 7 weeks old, that are running out of room in the brooder...fast.

I have two pens, 1 that can hold 11-12 birds comfortably and a tractor that can hold 4-5 comfortably.

The big house currently has 3 hens, 1 rooster and 5 2 week old chicks. The tractor has 2 hens and 1 rooster. I thinking about moving the 2 hens from the tractor to the big house and, putting the young birds with the rooster.

I feel like this will work because, the rooster in the tractor has managed a flock with chicks before and was very good with them, calling them when he finds food and such. The 2 hens that would be moved are larger than the 3 hens currently in the big house but, the momma hen of the 5 2 week Olds is the most dominant of all. I think if I move them at night, it would go over with minimal stress to all the birds.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Have you moved anyone yet? I'm not sure I would trust a sole rooster with young birds, you might have better luck trying to integrate the new ones into the bigger set up. You would have room to make a separation pen initially.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by