Interesting article regarding commercially raised meat chickens in US

Quote:
No, you didn't say anything about my birds. I just used my flock as an example of birds per square feet. Who knows what I was trying to get at other than in my mind, my flock is as "confined" as theirs. Nevermind. It just popped up in my head and I like to work through my thoughts online
big_smile.png

I still have never heard of people getting sick from processed birds though. Under cooked, improperly prepared, YES. Most recalls are from processed products like a Turkey Loaf or some other meat by-product. And then, the poultry in the concoction is probably the least of your worries. Preservatives, fillers, etc are going to have prolonged effects much farther out than the upset stomach you initially get.

Exporting birds... Wouldn't it just be easier to do things their way, for their birds??? I have to obey the EPA even though I may not see eye to eye with their ideas.
We told China not to use lead based paints anymore, are we in the wrong??? I agree that Russia should try to be more self-sufficient. I'm sure that any of our large producers would open a plant over there in a heartbeat! Hire the locals and avoid U.S. taxes!! Win, win for all over there. One more city of un-employment here.
Face it, I don't have the answer. It's beer O'clock in :15. Chat with you guys tomorrow.

Oh, okay..you had me waaayyyy confused there. lol

Quote:
No, you didn't say anything about my birds. I just used my flock as an example of birds per square feet. Who knows what I was trying to get at other than in my mind, my flock is as "confined" as theirs. Nevermind. It just popped up in my head and I like to work through my thoughts online
big_smile.png

I still have never heard of people getting sick from processed birds though. Under cooked, improperly prepared, YES. Most recalls are from processed products like a Turkey Loaf or some other meat by-product. And then, the poultry in the concoction is probably the least of your worries. Preservatives, fillers, etc are going to have prolonged effects much farther out than the upset stomach you initially get.

Exporting birds... Wouldn't it just be easier to do things their way, for their birds??? I have to obey the EPA even though I may not see eye to eye with their ideas.
We told China not to use lead based paints anymore, are we in the wrong??? I agree that Russia should try to be more self-sufficient. I'm sure that any of our large producers would open a plant over there in a heartbeat! Hire the locals and avoid U.S. taxes!! Win, win for all over there. One more city of un-employment here.
Face it, I don't have the answer. It's beer O'clock in :15. Chat with you guys tomorrow.

Oh, okay..you had me waaayyyy confused there. lol

What confused you about beer O'clock???

Quote:
When you look at it that way, NO! It's not worth loosing American jobs to keep a commie fed or employed. We really need to stop babysitting the world anyway. I pay WAY too many taxes to take care of a bunch of foreigners.

At our present rate of unemployment, and we would not be trying to sell them to Russia if we could not meet the demands. Obama would be a fool not do everything he could to put people to work. He is getting hammered for the high rate of unemployment. If he was not doing everything in his power to put people to work over Chlorine I think he could expect a backlash. I mean we are spending at a rate of $600,000 for one temporary job. All he has to do is make a simple concession to put people to work, it is foolish not to, UNLESS there is more to it.

Chris.... there are plenty of cases. Undercooked or not you still should not have the levels of bacteria present on the chicken in the first place. Quantity over consumer protection is always the way it is in Big Ag business. Even with these staggering numbers... not much is done.... as your right, these people should have properly handled their food and utensils... and should have cooked it until it was done. However backyard poultry (my point) proves to be cleaner than the stuff you buy at the store. I can't show you results of pastured poultry cases... because their is none. The only case that I know about is when Salatin proved an inspector wrong by having them swab his chickens... and volunteering to swab the feces from his chickens. Both came back negative regarding Campylobacter and Salmonella. Since their is no bacteria present... it's very hard to get someone sick.

An estimated 76 million cases of foodborne disease occur each year in the United States. The great majority of these cases are mild and cause symptoms for only a day or two. Some cases are more serious, and CDC estimates that there are 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths related to foodborne diseases each year. The most severe cases tend to occur in the very old, the very young, those who have an illness already that reduces their immune system function, and in healthy people exposed to a very high dose of an organism.

Foodborne diseases are largely preventable, though there is no simple one-step prevention measure like a vaccine. Instead, measures are needed to prevent or limit contamination all the way from farm to table. A variety of good agricultural and manufacturing practices can reduce the spread of microbes among animals and prevent the contamination of foods. Careful review of the whole food production process can identify the principal hazards, and the control points where contamination can be prevented, limited, or eliminated. A formal method for evaluating the control of risk in foods exists is called the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point, or HACCP system.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/foodborneinfections_g.htm#howmanycases

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom