Interesting news on my school district,,, Not a rant

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
14 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
I just got this,, notice the note about state rations not being adhered to? That means they can put as many kids in my class as they want or need to rather than pay for another teacher.

1. Budget: $1.8 million was cut from the GISD budget for the next school year. The district will look for places to make cuts; some cuts will be at the GAC.

2. Furloughs and salaries: There will not be any furlough days or pay-cuts in the district for 2010-2011. The districts intent is to keep the budget as is over the next two school years.

3. Class size: For the next two years, state ratios will not be adhered to.

4. Calendar: The 2010-11 school year will start a week later than this past year. At this time, the issue of the Fall break rests in the hands of the Union. The choices are: to remain as is, two weeks in Oct. and 3 days at Thanksgiving, or to have one week in October for continuous, eliminate Fall break for the traditional schools and give a full week at Thanksgiving. The decision is the union’s and will be decided by the next School Board meeting. The issue of voting on a proposed calendar is also a union decision. No such decision has yet been made.

5. Testing: State tests are mandatory. There isn’t any flexibility on the MAPS, NMSBA, or ACCESS testing. The district doesn’t have any control over the testing windows or the ‘turn around’ time for the tests.
DIBELS testing is being eliminated.

6. National Board Certification: Ms Nava suggested that all teachers should begin to think about and focus on national certification. She sees it as a “highly regarded credential”. The coursework and testing is rigorous and expensive; however, when certified, you receive a $1,500 pay increase. Presently, Leslie Jackson is certified and is in charge of national certification for GISD. Additional e-mails regarding this certification will be sent out in the near future.

7. High Schools: At this time, student rank and GPAs at the 3 high schools differ. Ms. Nava is looking into getting these numbers adjusted so that they are consistent at all 3 schools.

8. Insurance: Our co-pays and out-of-pocket expenses will increase for 2010-11.

9. School day: The school day will remain as is for all grades K-12.

Last edited:
They are talking about making the school year shorter here too. And a bunch of people have been laid off already. That and THEN: 4 schools in the area are on the nation's F list and have been told to improve. REALLY??

Yep, luckily we make AYP so we don't get hurt too badly, but they take money from us and give it to the lower performing schools because don't you know?? If you throw money at them they do better....

Quote:
WOW now that really sucks!!! I know our district is going to charge $160 for low income families, per child, to ride the bus. If they can't afford peanut butter and jelly, how are they gonna come up with that money?!?! And most people around here live MILES from any bus stop. Walking to school is not an option. $350 per kid for non-low income families.

They did the class size thing here in December, I was laid off and my class was split between 4 other teachers, who each have 35-37 kids now.

Writer, your career is very wearing on you, isn't it? I mean, it seems so fraught with controversy, poor decisions, bad kids, bad parents, bad administrators, bad public attitude, lousy politics, etc. Perhaps you should start a career in just writing books or tutoring individuals or something. I'm serious. If I were in a job that stressful in so MANY ways, I'd be a basket case. Anyway, good luck with everything.

Our local school district took all the printers out of the classrooms to save on paper, but then bought a fancy new printer system that was too advanced to work with the school's wiring, so they had to rewire everything. And then they took half the light bulbs out of every classroom to save on electricity. They continue to cut art and music funding, but will they ever think about cutting sports funding? Yeah right.

I thought about Buff, but I love teaching so I'll hold on as long as possible. For all the bad ones there are ten good ones. I'm lucky my administration supports me the way they do.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom