Internal laying again?

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
6 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
So about 6 months ago I had a hen who had internal laying (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-my-hen-dying.1208830/) now I'm wondering if another has it. She is acting similar to my first hen but the symptoms are not as extreme. She stayed sitting on the coop floor instead of coming out, her breathing is heavy, she looks as if she is trying to poop but can't, she won't take food and water voluntarily, here comb is more purple the red, and it looks bloated between the legs. Basically, is it happening again? Or does she have something different? You can't 'spread' inward laying so can I prevent it? Yesterday she was running around scratching up a storm with no signs of ailing.

@rebrascora @casportpony

Last edited:
P_20180508_073918_LL.jpg
P_20180508_073948_LL.jpg
P_20180508_075306_LL.jpg

Attachments

• P_20180508_075306_LL.jpg
    P_20180508_075306_LL.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 2
Her comb looks dark which is a sign that she is not getting enough oxygen. She looks obviously worn out. How does her crop feel—empty, full, firm, or puffy? Is she pooping? You could try feeding her some cooked egg or very wet feed. She could have anything from heart failure, ascites (fluid in her abdomen,) or one of the common reproductive disorders, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or even cancer.
You may want to try removing any fluid in her belly with a 16 gauge needle if she has ascites. I am affaid that she looks as though she will not last much longer, so if a vet is available you may want to take her in. If not, I would make her comfortable.

I'm sorry about your hen:hugs

You are correct that internal laying does not "spread". Sadly, there is no prevention either. I feel that their are contributors to internal laying-genetics is a big one, a hen being too fat and respiratory illness. I'm sure there may be other factors that contribute to reproductive problems too.

Internal laying/reproductive problems, as you have already found out yourself (and if you look at the ER posts here on BYC) are very common. The best you can do is make her comfortable as described in the previous post by @Eggcessive and look back at any suggestions made on the previous thread from your other hen.

I do understand the frustration and heartache that comes with this. I have lost several to reproductive problems and am currently working on seeing if non-hatchery birds will fare better. Only time will tell.

https://poultrykeeper.com/reproductive-system-problems/

Very good video with explanation of internal laying:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ions-my-youtube-video-graphic-photos.1201052/

Thank you @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock, she isn't eating or drinking. I've forced her take some sugar water but now all she does is sit there breathing roughly with her eyes closed. She hasn't pooped and her crop feels basically empty. The only vet I know of around me doesn't take chickens :hmm. The strange thing is how drastically she changed from yesterday. How can you prevent internal disorder? Out of all 8 years raising chickens I've never had a problem till 6 months ago and now, what's changed to cause it?

Last edited:
How old is this sick hen? I was just reading your other thread about your fist hen who suffered with this, and these problems are the most common reasons todays laying hen die. Your first hen was 8, so you should be proud that your hens have lived so long with no other problems. I have lost hens as young as 2 or 3 with reproductive disorders. Most of my 5-7 year old hens are not laying anymore. Out of 19 hens, I only have about 4 who still lay eggs. Sorry that you have to make this decision to end her suffering.

I just put her down. It is always a tough job but I hate seeing an animal suffer with no hope. She was about 3 years old, I guess I've just been lucky when it came to sickness. My biggest problem has only been predators until now.

Back
Top Bottom