internally pipped but not externally, when should i help to hatch?

Pics
thanks :fl they'll do what's needed without my involvement, i used a screw to get through on my practice ones but it was rather scary!
just to double check, once internally pipped they have 24 hours before they need air?
if it gets close to 24 and they're looking/sounding like they need some help an air hole is all they need to get them started?
and it could be about 3 days before they hatch if they're going to?

hadn't thought about practicing on eggs to eat, duck has only just started laying again, but i may save it for practice should the need arise, thanks for that tip:)

thanks, i assume that if the shape is still a bit blurry that prehaps they are still trying to get through the first bit? is it best to candle with the airsack at the top to see how/if they've pipped inside?
If they have pipped internal then you should be able to hear them peep. Hold the egg close to your ear. I usually hear mine without having to hold close to my ear prior to them pipping through the shell. Good luck!

24 hours is a good internal pip average -- as long as the air cells grew properly. If the air cells happen to be on the smaller side, I may do a safe hole at 18-20 hours. If they are extra large, I may wait longer than 24.

Zipping usually happens within 48 hours of external pip. Sometimes they will pip multiple times, in a bunch around the original pip. But then when they fully start zipping, the zip should be complete within 1-1.5 hours, with only 5-10 minute rests between hits.

Back
Top Bottom