International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

@Song girl 11,

Since its only been 2 days I would leave the eggs in the incubator. Place another thermometer inside that you trust and get your temp up to 99.5-100 degrees with humidity of 30-35% for the 1st 18 days then for lockdown crank the humidity up to 65% and drop your temp to 98.5-99.5 degrees for hatch. You should be OK.

Good Luck,
Keith
Will do. Thank you!

1560958473185153201687.jpg
one of the best from this spring, however the silver seems to have a slight tint to it. Is this ok? No gold leakage from autosomal red!
15609585942251782420406.jpg
1560958804140-516818037.jpg
156095891265756211191.jpg
bottom one is same as top, a few other cockerels for good measure. Reduced numbers of cockerel by 45 so there's about 15 left to sift through, for sure five culls I can see, rest I want to watch a bit yet

View attachment 1818642 one of the best from this spring, however the silver seems to have a slight tint to it. Is this ok? No gold leakage from autosomal red!View attachment 1818648 View attachment 1818650 View attachment 1818652 bottom one is same as top, a few other cockerels for good measure. Reduced numbers of cockerel by 45 so there's about 15 left to sift through, for sure five culls I can see, rest I want to watch a bit yet

WOW! What handsome fellows!

View attachment 1818642 one of the best from this spring, however the silver seems to have a slight tint to it. Is this ok? No gold leakage from autosomal red!View attachment 1818648 View attachment 1818650 View attachment 1818652 bottom one is same as top, a few other cockerels for good measure. Reduced numbers of cockerel by 45 so there's about 15 left to sift through, for sure five culls I can see, rest I want to watch a bit yet

@Bantambird,

I like the Cockerel in the first and last photos. He has really good type, tail and lightly feathered legs. I would breed him just for those traits alone. His comb is decent - well lifted off the back of his head but a little unbalanced (points are not all nice & even) but not a huge negative. His eyes are on the lighter side of reddish orange but again not a huge negative. I think I see what you mean by a slight tint on his right shoulder but it’s very faint. Overall his silver is very nice. I would prefer to see a little more lacing / color on his breast. Overall, well done!

The Silver Blue (2nd photo) has a nice strong head, good comb, nice reddish orange eyes. I can’t tell anything about his type or tail because he’s laying down. The Silver (3rd photo) seems to be a little younger than the first Silver and Silver Blue. Correct? His eye color is gorgeous - nice deep reddish orange. I like his Silver too but he needs more of it - he’ll get there as he matures. Hard to tell because he’s hunched up but he looks to have a nice long back and short well angled tail. My only real issue with him is his legs are sparsely feathered - needs a little more but can be fixed if bred to a hen with nicely feathered legs/feet. His legs appear to be bordering on whitish...could just be the lighting in the photo. You have some nice birds!

Take Care,
Keith

Eggs today from my BLCM and Splash CM Pen. My Splash CM is 3-years old - her color is holding nicely for her age (her egg is far right). Does anyone else have a problem reading the Marans Club Shade Card? Sigh, maybe my eyes are getting old.
Keith

View attachment 1807460

Bravo my friend .your girls are doing you proud .

chooks man

View attachment 1815529 View attachment 1815528 View attachment 1815527 View attachment 1815526 Got some BCM today to sneak under my Broodies. My one with the infertile eggs still hasn’t broken and it’s been 6 weeks. Then I have a 1yr old BCM that’s been sitting for over a month. No idea what this guys parent stock looks like. 1 of the chicks has a copper spot on its head. I remember someone on here saying something about that...

she has a correct hatch down .
the copper dot you are talking about is a sign of purity .old marans trait .I have only seen a copper dot on the pullets .never cockerels .

chooks man

Updated pictures of my Black Copper cockerel he is 8 weeks old. I really hope he turns out good.
View attachment 1816887 View attachment 1816891

he is looking great .getting bigger and handsome .love his body type .got it from his mama . told you your hens will throw correct progeny .
love the quality of his copper . hope he ll have a lot of it when fully mature .
his comb is nice but need more point .
I like him a lot .do you know his mama?

chooks man

you selected well my friend .gorgeous looking cockerel .the first one/last one .
if the silver still have a slightly tint to it ,means Autossomal red still present .
if there is not any red leakage on the shoulder than it is a sign a pure silver is not far away .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom