International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RedBanks, Jul 19, 2016.

1. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I have noticed they might have some yellow feathers but those ones have too many, IMO of course.

2. kfelton0002

kfelton0002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2015
    Southeastern KY
    For some reason my phone wont let me quote. I enjoy the group on fb I guess because I get to see all the lovely pics when scrolling through my news feed. Sometimes I dont have much free time so its nice to see all the BYC and Marans posts and not so much the normal facebook drama. Im more of a chicken person than a people person. Lol

I didnt catch all of the comments on DJ's post so good to know most dont agree with him as his post was extremely snobby and nit picky. Not to long ago I posted a pic of my Cuckoo "roo" as I referred to him on the post. Us Marans newbies have to learn but Ive dealt with chickens for a long time, I know the correct terminology. I refer to my birds as roo or the girls as terms of endearment. Lol.

I really enjoy reading any comments from Bev Davis on there, that is probably what I like best about the page. She is helpful without being snobby and gives good advice. I do agree that I enjoy this page more because the folks here are more down to earth and not Marans snobs. ;)

Hope everyone is having a great day! Time to hit the books a little before work tonight. :)

3. kfelton0002

Dec 8, 2015
    Southeastern KY

Well now the quote feature is working. Lol. Thanks Chooks man. I will try to get better pics of the two splash pulletsas soon as I can. I tried forever yesterday and they are not cooperative. The pen is large and they move away as I come at them to take pics but I will try again soon. :)

4. RedBanks

RedBanks Overrun With Chickens

Sep 18, 2015

5. RedBanks

RedBanks Overrun With Chickens

Sep 18, 2015
    It will be very interesting to hear what Bev Davis has to post. I commented on DJ and said they should not worry about the words they use, let their birds speak for them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  6. kfelton0002

Dec 8, 2015
    Southeastern KY
    I dont spend much time in the layer pen aside from collecting eggs so they are just a bit leery of me when I keep walking around them trying to take pics. As they near point of lay they will get friendlier, they usually do anyway. Leghorns are known for being flighty and skittish, but my leghorn pullets are very friendly now that they are laying and stay right underfoot when I enter their pen. :)

7. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    I agree that many people seem to be rather blunt and bit unkind to a novice or even a differing opinion on the marans fancier page.

When I joined I had hoped people would be discussing their projects and sharing their experiences but found something much different, nobody hardly ever comments and I believe the feel of that group is the reason for that.

Everyone who asks for peoples opinion on theirs bird hardly ever receives one, those who don't ask for a opinion get unbridled orders from everyone to get rid of their birds because of flaws.

I prefer Chooks Man's way of operating, everything can be fixed (almost everything at least) and even birds with flaws can be useful in the breeding pens.

I have seen many beautiful Marans on the FB page [​IMG], even a couple people that reside in France and have pure French birds.

8. kfelton0002

Dec 8, 2015
    Southeastern KY

I agree. I do like to look at pics and read posts and comments on the page when I get time. There are some really nice people on there, but some can be just plain rude. A comment I read today was regarding two cockerels a man purchased and he posted that he was proud of his "find". One guy commented and said "with those combs I would unfind them." Very rude. One cockerel did have a side sprig but he could have been nicer about it. Not everyone can start with perfect birds. Flaws can be corrected with good breeding practices, but how can anyone expect to learn if people like that tear them down and not even offer one kind word? Even if a bird was far from breeding quality, there are gentler ways to say so.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  9. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    it seems that some people go to forums instead of going to the village bar to drink and argue. very few people are willing to learn.

10. Chooks man

Chooks man Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    Hi every body ,here how I fixed this Black rooster tail and kept his type.his tail was so bad did not look a marans Rooster. but he was a pure imported stock come from Uk as fertile egg. really dark n8. he is big ,great mass, gorgeous eyes,
    he is a cross between a English black marans and Black copper .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by