International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

kfelton0002

Crowing
Dec 8, 2015
Southeastern KY
what about Blue Bird .if she managed to produce cockerel like the BLC she is a breeder in my book . maybe not for body colour but for type for sure . she is proven breeder .
I will pen her with Malika and Dark Angel . he will help to add color to her progeny . she will keep the type .

chooks man
I can do that. I hadn't really thought much about Blue Bird. Her tail is on the high side so I had thought about avoiding breeding her. Dark Angel will hopefully complement her well and I can get some nice offspring from them. :)

kfelton0002

Crowing
Dec 8, 2015
Southeastern KY
Hen from surgery suffering from pendulous crop. I've bound it with a pressure wrap over an old sock to try helping it move normally while it heals, she really hates the pressure wrap! The crop is slow and hangs now, so if I can get her used to having that crop bound up, it should help it contract back into a normal shape, if she doesn't relapse.
I commend you for the attention you give to your birchen hen. However, since it does appear to be common in Marans will you avoid breeding her to prevent possibly predisposing future generations to the issue?

Bantambird

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 6, 2013
Near Billings Montana
I commend you for the attention you give to your birchen hen. However, since it does appear to be common in Marans will you avoid breeding her to prevent possibly predisposing future generations to the issue?
That's something I've already been thinking about. She did gorge on a half box full of hay to do this to herself, so I'm going to just watch her for now. It could be a one off thing, but I don't want to perpetuate a problem

Top Bottom