International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

marchick

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Washington State
Unfortunately I have devastating news. I went out yesterday afternoon and found that Malika was dead in her pen. Upon closer inspection she had a quarter sized gash in her neck. I am unsure what happened as it didn't seem like a predator attack. My husband's theory is that Dark Angel was mean to her, but I just can't see him ripping a large gash in Malika's neck. I am very saddened by this. Malika was my best hen. I had such high hopes for her offspring this year, and now my hopes are dashed. I lost all of last year's white legbar pullets in a grow out pen to a possum the other night also. :hit

I spent yesterday combing through my Marans pullets and I have caught up 3 as possible breeders. I will take some pictures as soon as I can.
I am so sorry! That just sucks! I hope you have a good replacement. Sorry my friend!

marchick

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Washington State
Hello my friends! Sorry I have been MIA! Everything decided to fall apart all at once. House pump, water heater, drain lines, water lines inside house and outside from pump house to house. They all have to be replaced. Dishwasher has short now. This has been dragging on for what seems like forever! Not anywhere near done. I hope you are all well! Blessings my friends!

marchick

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Washington State
Well I turned off my lights in the chicken house about a month or so ago and everyone stopped laying. My BC rooster rubbed all his tail feathers off in the fencing and now has a part white tail feather. I hope it's just damage to the feather causing the white. Bummer

chickengr

Free Ranging
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
greece
Nope, not a testament to my care. It's a testament to good genetics that haven't had breeders who are concerned about looks interfere with the breed.
You will find this with a lot of European and Asian breeds. The application of a standard is often to the detriment of the breed.

I was thinking to breed greek crested chickens and to work on the sop. people rejected my idea exactly for the reasons you said. they say the application of a standard will result in sick and weak birds. I gave it up. I am going to breed them anyway but there will be a colourful flock like so many landrace chickens. the only thing I will care about will be single comb and non feathered feet.

chickengr

Free Ranging
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
greece
Hello my friends! Sorry I have been MIA! Everything decided to fall apart all at once. House pump, water heater, drain lines, water lines inside house and outside from pump house to house. They all have to be replaced. Dishwasher has short now. This has been dragging on for what seems like forever! Not anywhere near done. I hope you are all well! Blessings my friends!

sorry for your trouble! I hope you will finish works soon:hugs

Top Bottom