International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Bantambird

Free Ranging
Feb 6, 2013
Near Billings Montana
Holy moly those sound really spendy! Also, there was Newcastle disease in so cal earlier this year so be sure to check out the progress on the quarantine of poultry in cali before ordering chicks. Since I'm the odd duck with the black silvers, I can weigh in on the cuckoo x bmc breeding: if you want to keep cuckoo for some fun color, you can get away with golden cuckoo penned up with your bmc, just like I can get away with keeping cuckoo penned with my black silvers. You will have way fewer culls with that pairing, as you won't be messing with changing the base red/silver, only with the barring, in a manner of speaking.

Also, often cuckoo/gold cuckoo are added to increase the hackle/saddle coloring of the line you are crossing with, so if you have a poorly undercolored boy, bringing in a gold cuckoo to your black copper flock can up your color.

chickengr

Free Ranging
Dec 29, 2014
greece
my dogs killed 5 chickens: blue marans cockerel, 2 mutt cockerels and 2 cuckoo legbar pullets.

blue boy was not a breeder. his comb was like leghorn's, his underfluff got white and he had health issues. I have to find good marans to start from scratch.

I still have 3 cuckoo legbar pullets and 1 cockerel.

my dogs are going to be locked up at the storage room at daytime. period.

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
my dogs killed 5 chickens: blue marans cockerel, 2 mutt cockerels and 2 cuckoo legbar pullets.

blue boy was not a breeder. his comb was like leghorn's, his underfluff got white and he had health issues. I have to find good marans to start from scratch.

I still have 3 cuckoo legbar pullets and 1 cockerel.

my dogs are going to be locked up at the storage room at daytime. period.
that is bad news .
better lock them up if you want to have chooks . hope you find a good marans to restart with .

my dogs are really good with chooks now .
chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
I do have 3 pullets from this line that are fast feathering. I will plan to breed to them together if they grow out nicely.
That should solve the feather growth problem. Yes?
here the method to breed early feathering type = these genes are Sex linked .
Slow feathering type Cockerel X Early feathering type hen = Early /Medium feathering type cockerels AND Slow feathering pullets. this method is not reliable .

Early Feathering type Cockerel X Late feathering type hen = Late to Medium feathering type cockerels AND Early feathering type pullets.this method is used to produce a sex linked day old chicks .

if your pullets are Early feathering type . hatch cockerels from them , than cross them back to they Dams to produce Early feathering type .

if a cockerel is early feathering type ,hatch pullets from him ,than mate him to his daughter to produce Early feathering type

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
The other 2 from this line #1 both have vulture hocks then.
You predicted this early on.
So we will eat these two.

I now understand why we should hatch so many eggs from a pair. So few are chosen for breeding purposes.

I will say, im not naming chooks any more until after selections are made. Naming them early really sucks when you are making stew out of them...

So if i use Negan as a breeder, i need to look out for parasitic white because he was so light at hatch and vulture hocks because 2 of his brothers had them.
Is this correct?
These faults are very hard to breed out so cull hard?
don t worry too much about parasitic white .what you need is a true marans type . Negan is true marans looking dude with a lot great stuff going for him .yes he has faults .{ all our breeders have faults not the end of the world } he will produce better looking progeny .
went you fix the type and dark egg color .you can start breeding for body pattern and other stuff .

I will keep saying a same thing over and over . Build a house fist than start decorating it .

build the foundation of the line first .than breed the faults out of it later .

chooks man

Punkybrewster

Crowing
Feb 23, 2018
Upstate sc
don t worry too much about parasitic white .what you need is a true marans type . Negan is true marans looking dude with a lot great stuff going for him .yes he has faults .{ all our breeders have faults not the end of the world } he will produce better looking progeny .
went you fix the type and dark egg color .you can start breeding for body pattern and other stuff .

I will keep saying a same thing over and over . Build a house fist than start decorating it .

build the foundation of the line first .than breed the faults out of it later .

chooks man
Thank you for the reminder @Chooks man.
And your wisdom.

Punkybrewster

Crowing
Feb 23, 2018
Upstate sc
he is the one out of the 3 with a true marans body type . plus very good bodt type and tail .impressed .
I said it before ,hatch down is not related to body type . this guy is a prove .
hatch down is related to body color .

he is the only keeper for now from line #1 .
chooks man
This is Negan.
Are these vulture hocks coming in?

Their not as obvious like the other 2 brothers that will be culled.

20200926_082210.jpg
20200926_082243.jpg
20200926_081509.jpg
20200926_081429.jpg

Punkybrewster

Crowing
Feb 23, 2018
Upstate sc
his comb is a mess plus he is a square type or just the way you took the photo .
take photo of his from the side ,so we can see how long is he .
love his chunkiness .

chooks man
These are my 2 cockerels from line#2.

1: is having no tail yet making him look boxy?
20200926_093707.jpg
20200926_093703.jpg
20200926_093644.jpg
20200926_093643.jpg

2:
20200926_093625.jpg
20200926_093627.jpg

Not great pics but the best i can do for now. Im working outside taking pics when i can.

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
This is Negan.
Are these vulture hocks coming in?

Their not as obvious like the other 2 brothers that will be culled.

View attachment 2348980 View attachment 2348981 View attachment 2348982 View attachment 2348984
his legs look OK to me .he does have some of the genes for sure ,but not predominant like other 2 .
there is a way to breed it out later . when time I come I will tell you .

he does have fault like I said to you before ,but he has all the marans traits . that is a plus .
let him do more growing and we will see how he turn up .they change so many time ,we have to wait .

chooks man

Top Bottom