International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Here are my 2 BCMS that I hatched yesterday!!! :) 8FE02CFA-529A-400B-B38D-82DD9FECB98A.jpeg 15A96915-BBE7-4AF8-B178-E823D62D4FC3.jpeg 008654BA-B400-4E80-AFD5-A4BE14EE81D2.jpeg

This is Seamus.
He is one of 3 roosters I have selected from purchased eggs last fall. My concern with this line is the parasitic white in the flock I bought the eggs from.

He does have some white underfluff and is the smallest of the 3 but I do like him.

The short tail was my goal.

View attachment 2863600View attachment 2863602View attachment 2863604View attachment 2863605

I like this guy a lot. I think you like him too because you took really nice pictures. 👍🏻

This is #3 side view as you requested.
This guy is georgous, and massive. Definate keeper even with the parasitic white. "We work with what we have"....chooksman. I'm no expert by any means and still learning. If all 3 boys have white I doubt it's going to molt out. How old are they?
I remember you saying Waylon had no white... So that would point towards the hens he was with? So can it be bred out by mating him with a hen with no white? I'm sure it's not that easy. Could Waylon be a carrier and not showing white?

Heres a question.

Those 2 white tail feathers that stick up so high.

Do you think they will molt out and grow back smaller like the rest of his tail or will they grow out the same way they are now.

Would it be a good idea to wait and see instead of cull?

you can always cull. if you have space keep him for a while. roos doo change.

This guy is georgous, and massive. Definate keeper even with the parasitic white. "We work with what we have"....chooksman. I'm no expert by any means and still learning. If all 3 boys have white I doubt it's going to molt out. How old are they?
I remember you saying Waylon had no white... So that would point towards the hens he was with? So can it be bred out by mating him with a hen with no white? I'm sure it's not that easy. Could Waylon be a carrier and not showing white?

These 3 roosters in the pictures I have posted were bought as eggs last fall.
I bought them to breed in short, lower tails.
They were not hatched from my hens.

I have a group of 7 cockerels growing out that ARE from my flock. Their sire was Walon (culled) with no parasitic white.

So my plan is to keep 2-3 roosters from 1 line with parasitic white but have excellent mass and color
and 2-3 from my original line who have high, large tails but no parasitic white.

I have 3 lines of hens.
Some of them are from the same breeder as my 3 roosters with white.

I will be test breeding this spring to see what I get.

Sorry if I am confusing you.

Back
Top Bottom