International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I hope Chooks Man is okay too.
your 4 week olds have more feathers than my 4 week olds...
I’ve been photographing them and weighing them every Thursday.

My other 4 weeks, 3 weeks, 2 weeks and 6 weeks are all different breeds. The other 4 weeks are similar in feathering out, though there are slight difference…

Could be a genetic difference in lines… and certainly doesn’t mean my birds will look the best

A couple of the other breeds…
The RIR has less developed feathers on their necks and the Barred Rock a bit wispy still. The Australorp is about the same as the French Marans.
E9CCCE2D-6008-4D17-8800-6EFCBB1F42C1.jpeg

A5C973B7-779D-428C-B5CB-6AE1642A890A.jpeg

mine are definitely slow feathering. Some of my cockerels don't even develop tails until they are 3 months old!
Wow. What will be interesting is to see how that effects the mature bird’s feathers, molt and egg production.

I am pretty sure my husband’s French Marans are not blues or cuckoo. These girls may turn out solid black (assuming they are both pullets, which I think they are looking that way).

One of the reasons I decided to track weight and do weekly photos is to see how the chicks progress in the different breeds and have a record for future breeding plans, chick selection, and better understanding of down to adult look.

How to get your Marans to lay eggs.! Come on BYC and call them freeloaders! Two eggs yesterday and two eggs today. Coincidence I think not! Lol
My hens have not laid in so long, I can not remember when. I am, already older than dirt. Do not know if I will live long enough to hatch any without the parasitic white. Just bought two roosters. They do not have white tail feathers (today) we will see. TOM

My hens have not laid in so long, I can not remember when. I am, already older than dirt. Do not know if I will live long enough to hatch any without the parasitic white. Just bought two roosters. They do not have white tail feathers (today) we will see. TOM
Mine have the parasitic white also. I don't think I will ever get rid of it either. I am wanting to hatch a batch this year but no pens set up yet. I have gotten 6 eggs so far but haven't checked yet today.

Mine have the parasitic white also. I don't think I will ever get rid of it either. I am wanting to hatch a batch this year but no pens set up yet. I have gotten 6 eggs so far but haven't checked yet today.
I think they all have parasitic white, others just do not admit it!! It does not show in the eggs you purchase. It does not show in the baby chics you purchase. Some times it does not show in the cock, until he reaches 2 years old. I bought my start from the best of the best and they have the white. Never have got the top breeders to agree, never will.TOM

I think they all have parasitic white, others just do not admit it!! It does not show in the eggs you purchase. It does not show in the baby chics you purchase. Some times it does not show in the cock, until he reaches 2 years old. I bought my start from the best of the best and they have the white. Never have got the top breeders to agree, never will.TOM
I actually had 2 of the big name breeders tell me that! Lol

Back
Top Bottom