International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Yes, better than not at all. I look forward to seeing them when they hatch!

I put my back up rooster in the pen with my older girls a couple of weeks ago. They hate him. He is not getting the job done so he is moving out.
I will try him again next spring and decide then whether to cull or not. He is the one Seamus wants to kill.

I have 25 bcm chicks in the brooder (spare bathroom).
My last hatch of the year. Ive had the incubators running since January.

I am hatched out, chicked out, just plain done.

Its been a good season and I am happy with the outcome. Time to sit back and watch them grow.

how old is your back up rooster? I have the same problem with my silkie hens and a silkie cockerel. they do not want to mate with him. I guess he must grow up first.

Yes, better than not at all. I look forward to seeing them when they hatch!

I put my back up rooster in the pen with my older girls a couple of weeks ago. They hate him. He is not getting the job done so he is moving out.
I will try him again next spring and decide then whether to cull or not. He is the one Seamus wants to kill.

I have 25 bcm chicks in the brooder (spare bathroom).
My last hatch of the year. Ive had the incubators running since January.

I am hatched out, chicked out, just plain done.

Its been a good season and I am happy with the outcome. Time to sit back and watch them grow.
He was last years hatch and had only been in the pen about a month so maybe the girls hadn't warmed up to him yet. So I am not giving up on him yet. This is the only chance I have this year to hatch me a decent BC cockerel.

how old is your back up rooster? I have the same problem with my silkie hens and a silkie cockerel. they do not want to mate with him. I guess he must grow up first.

He is right at 1 year old.
No parasitic white at all so far and that's why I still have him. But he has a high tail, short back and lacks mass. At least he is friendly and has good color.

He was last years hatch and had only been in the pen about a month so maybe the girls hadn't warmed up to him yet. So I am not giving up on him yet. This is the only chance I have this year to hatch me a decent BC cockerel.

This is what I am hoping for too. That they warm up to him. The hens love Seamus and this other one has never been in with hens before. I think he needs to just figure it out with time and I hope they give in!

I also hope you get some nice cockerels out of your hatch. They are so important.

Welp,
My cockerel from Judith that I had high hopes for has become knock kneed.
I tried to get a good picture of him. Legs are way too close together when he walks and bend inward. I dont think it will improve with age.

He is about 12 weeks old now.
Would this make him a cull?
Should I wait a few more weeks or months?
He has the best copper of all the young cockerels so far. His comb and leg feathering are awful but I know they can be fixed but its the leg spacing I know nothing about.
I know he is over colored in the chest but most is gone by 1 year with these guys. I dont worry about it. It helps give full copper on the hens.

Attachments

• 20220604_155803.jpg
    20220604_155803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220604_155803.jpg
    20220604_155803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220604_155706.jpg
    20220604_155706.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220604_155608.jpg
    20220604_155608.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220604_155731.jpg
    20220604_155731.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220604_153642.jpg
    20220604_153642.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 4
Welp,
My cockerel from Judith that I had high hopes for has become knock kneed.
I tried to get a good picture of him. Legs are way too close together when he walks and bend inward. I dont think it will improve with age.

He is about 12 weeks old now.
Would this make him a cull?
Should I wait a few more weeks or months?
He has the best copper of all the young cockerels so far. His comb and leg feathering are awful but I know they can be fixed but its the leg spacing I know nothing about.
I know he is over colored in the chest but most is gone by 1 year with these guys. I dont worry about it. It helps give full copper on the hens.

I always say we can cull any time but never bring back.

I always say we can cull any time but never bring back.

Very true.
I have 7 more cockerels to choose from.
As usual, he looked so good until his legs did this. Usually it is the tail that suddenly pops way up after being nice and low.

I believe he will be a cull but maybe wait until late summer or fall with the rest of them? What a shame.
Im about to separate the cockerels and put them in the bachelor pen.

Very true.
I have 7 more cockerels to choose from.
As usual, he looked so good until his legs did this. Usually it is the tail that suddenly pops way up after being nice and low.

I believe he will be a cull but maybe wait until late summer or fall with the rest of them? What a shame.
Im about to separate the cockerels and put them in the bachelor pen.

I hope he will improve. marans mature late. when it is too hot they eat less and look skinny for long. fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom