International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Sorry it took so long to get pictures of the 5 chicks! 20220611_182517.jpg 20220611_182624.jpg

I have 10 BCM cockerels I am growing out right now. They are around 4 months old. I am TRYING not to cull until they all reach at least 1 year old this time. I see a couple with white underfluff already. Ugh.
They are eating machines but most have nice mass and color already.

I want to replace Seamus. He has so much white in his tail but he did give complete copper to his progeny. His pullets hackles are beautiful and the cockerels I am growing out are also his. Most have his beautiful, proper copper already.

I am thinking of what advice @Chooks man would give.
"Breed from him, then get rid of him" because of so much white but other good qualities I needed in my pen.

Cull hard.
This is why I am trying to wait until they are 1 year old. I wish I had 100 to choose from instead of 10.

I have 10 BCM cockerels I am growing out right now. They are around 4 months old. I am TRYING not to cull until they all reach at least 1 year old this time. I see a couple with white underfluff already. Ugh.
They are eating machines but most have nice mass and color already.

I want to replace Seamus. He has so much white in his tail but he did give complete copper to his progeny. His pullets hackles are beautiful and the cockerels I am growing out are also his. Most have his beautiful, proper copper already.

I am thinking of what advice @Chooks man would give.
"Breed from him, then get rid of him" because of so much white but other good qualities I needed in my pen.

Cull hard.
This is why I am trying to wait until they are 1 year old. I wish I had 100 to choose from instead of 10.
I wish I had 10 but I don't. I need a miracle! Lol
If I could manage a good BC Rooster out of these. I will breed BC x BC next year and try for a backup Rooster or a better one. Praying you get a good rooster out of your 10. I was really questioning the fertility of my rooster. I put 10 eggs under a broody hen. She broke one and 5 hatched. There was one clear but the rest had started forming but died earlier on. I was going to send someone some eggs but with questioning fertility it didn't happen. I moved him about a week ago into the Blcm pen.

Back
Top Bottom