International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I love honest chicken folk, and Brenda Little seems to be a real straight shooter. She doesnt sugar coat and she is open about flaws that you may see in her birds. A truly respectful quality in a person. Here are pictures of a few of her cull cockerels in the past. They look very similar to culls I encountered this year in my own birds.

*I took these pics with the camera on my phone while looking at the pics on my laptop. I did not copy the pictures.*

Slight vulture hocks
View attachment 1191156
Copper leakage and shafting
View attachment 1191157 View attachment 1191158

The LP and the GFF roosters behind my birds and some of Kfelton0002.

0201161308g-1.jpg
20170114_164027.jpg

You don't have room. You don't need them. You have LP birds. I am giving it my best. :lau

This I know! My husband would crap a brick. lol! :gig

He really wouldn't. He is so very tolerant of my chicken obsession. Because he also has a chicken obsession. There I go trying to rationalize buying more chickens.

I don't need more chickens. I don't need more chickens. I don't need more chickens.

Hello, my name is Kayla and I am a chicken addict. :frow

The LP and the GFF roosters behind my birds and some of Kfelton0002.

View attachment 1191163 View attachment 1191165

The LP cock bird was mean, right? Maximus acts like he is getting too big for his britches sometimes. I worry he may be trying to become a tad aggressive. He pecked at my sleeve when I picked him up yesterday and comes to me all puffed up and macho when I open the door of the pen like he is 10 feet tall and bullet proof.
I ain't scared of no chicken! :smack

With respect to the hens, the tail is broad at the base (sitting naturally well with a full body), but it must be seen to be rather short and fine having tight, not open feathering. Presence of a "Fan tail " is a serious defect.

4535140436_231x227-jpg.1189919
p1070859-jpg.1189467

my hens body type is a real expression of the original drawing ( the one we see above)

I don t make the thing up . I fellow and I understand the Standard very well and deed .

took me 4 years of selective breeding to achieve this body type .Now i move on to the refinement department ( comb, hackle ,earlobe )

chooks man

it seems I had beginner's luck: I have nice shaped pullets by simply hatching eggs I had! and the eggs are dark too. my second pullet lays darker eggs now. she just started to lay a few days later than the other one.

it seems I had beginner's luck: I have nice shaped pullets by simply hatching eggs I had! and the eggs are dark too. my second pullet lays darker eggs now. she just started to lay a few days later than the other one.

That's great! I unfortunately did not have beginners luck. My first Marans were terrible, so terrible I scrapped the whole lot. One had willow legs, they were all very overmelanized, you name it. Hatched from decent looking eggs but were all eye-sores to say the least. I'm glad you hatched nice birds and are getting good egg color from them. :)

That's great! I unfortunately did not have beginners luck. My first Marans were terrible, so terrible I scrapped the whole lot. One had willow legs, they were all very overmelanized, you name it. Hatched from decent looking eggs but were all eye-sores to say the least. I'm glad you hatched nice birds and are getting good egg color from them. :)

I have 3 black pullets with no good combs (not terrible though) so my next step is to put some copper in hackles. all of my boys have some golden leakage in their hackles so I am hoping to fix both faults.

I started with a mixed flock as a hobby and I am now getting rid of many breeds and plan to try breeding good marans - at the moment black copper only. my other breeds are black naked necks which later I will try to get blue egg layer NNs and I will also work with non recognized greek hooded chicken and try to get them recognized. but I need to sell the house and move to the bigger place.

I have 3 black pullets with no good combs (not terrible though) so my next step is to put some copper in hackles. all of my boys have some golden leakage in their hackles so I am hoping to fix both faults.

I started with a mixed flock as a hobby and I am now getting rid of many breeds and plan to try breeding good marans - at the moment black copper only. my other breeds are black naked necks which later I will try to get blue egg layer NNs and I will also work with non recognized greek hooded chicken and try to get them recognized. but I need to sell the house and move to the bigger place.

Wow the blue egg layer naked necks sound cool! I have always wanted naked necks! lol

Back
Top Bottom