International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

The LP cock bird was mean, right? Maximus acts like he is getting too big for his britches sometimes. I worry he may be trying to become a tad aggressive. He pecked at my sleeve when I picked him up yesterday and comes to me all puffed up and macho when I open the door of the pen like he is 10 feet tall and bullet proof.
I ain't scared of no chicken! :smack

Yes.... he used to peck Amanda savagely and he got her in the face the last time. Coming to my house brought him down more than a peg, new environment.

This I know! My husband would crap a brick. lol! :gig

He really wouldn't. He is so very tolerant of my chicken obsession. Because he also has a chicken obsession. There I go trying to rationalize buying more chickens.

I don't need more chickens. I don't need more chickens. I don't need more chickens.

Hello, my name is Kayla and I am a chicken addict. :frow

you don t need to buy any thing .
I have been telling you .you have a great base to work with .
you ll be amazed if you breed them properly what you ll get out of them .

hath as many chicks but don t buy any .

if you breed a good marans .your freezer will be full of a tasty meat .and your eggs basket will be full of those dark gorgeous eggs .

chooks man

horrible looking tail and comb .but copper to die for .

chooks man
Yes.... that is what I meant by we are past this. Hopefully, anyway. The chicks I got were very nice and I will always be grateful to FRF for my beginning. I do know that what I have in my backyard is all I need to have the Marans I want. I just have to do the work..... and that would be the same even if I bought LP chicks.

@chickengr Good luck with your breeding program! I have thinned my breeds list down some also, still need to do some thinning. Best of luck selling your house and getting settled into the new one. :)
So much easier to keep the varieties/numbers low until you are set up for it. I hated to give up the 27 chickens last year but that flock went to a friend and stayed together.

if you breed a good marans .your freezer will be full of a tasty meat .and your eggs basket will be full of those dark gorgeous eggs .

chooks man
If you don't believe me..... listen to Chooks man! You are on your way. If you bring in an outside bird with all of its recessive/dominate genes, you are technically starting over.

chooks man

Yes I know and I trust your wisdom. :)

I dont have good enough hatch rates on shipped eggs to justify paying so much for hatching eggs anyway. At the end of the day I could never bring myself to spend so much on a gamble. I am looking forward to seeing chicks from the birds I have paired up.

Speaking of secret nests @RedBanks :barnie

20171120_131053.jpg

Its not like they dont have a nice cozy hen house to lay and roost in. But no, the black copper pullets still free ranging want to roost in the trees 20 feet up and nest on the ground like the Games. Monkey see, monkey do. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom