International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

@chickengr

I found this very helpful. It is really simpler than it sounds. Not the choosing and culling but the linebreeding sequence.

http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/inbreeding-chickens.html

@Chooks man

Awhile back you told me it was too early for me to use this chart. Can I start now? Do I put three hens with Bello, three with Claude and 4 with Antonio?

OK RedBank it is time for me to explain to you the best breeding method for your BCM chooks.

you are in stage 1 of breeding . mean you are just putting the line together not inbreeding it yet.

Stage1= most of the breeders dismiss this stage but they don t go far with they breeding before they run into all sort of troubles .this stage is very important to build a foundation of a great line.
TEST MATING the future breeders ( they aren t breeders yet ); we have to test mating them to see what result they are throwing ( good looker doesn t mean is going a give us a pretty progeny ?

you have 3 roosters and many hens. you don t need all the hens choose your top 6. ( 3 X 6 = 18 combination ) you don t need more. that is a lot chicks to hatch and a lot notes to take.
How many chicks are you wailing to hatch and raise ? very important so you don t worst your time and space .

10 chicks from each combination is enough ( 10 X 18 =180 chicks minimum) to see the genetic expression of your future breeders.witch pairing is good and witch is bad.

let me know what do you want to do and I ll help you plan your breeding program .

Do not multiply chooks and worst your time .
your are in the position to start a great BCM line. No making around . don t hold back .this sort of chances don t come so often in life. take advantage of it.

will take 3 years of a good and organized work and we will have your line started on a great foundation . from there you follow the Felch graphic .

Let me know . I m working on my breeding program for this season So I can add your chooks to my program .

chooks man

Quote: Okay
wink.png

we ll answer your question and will help you to breed a good matrans chooks for sure .plus I ll help you getting them from France too.

next year you will have Monique , Eric and Laurent sending you eggs So the post man can break as much as they want , they are not going to stop you having your lovely pure marans chooks .

all the best

chooks man

I have just learned that maybe it was not the postmen's fault for damaged eggs.

if the eggs come in a big plane where the luggage is on the bottom of the plane, without oxygen and where the pressure is high, some eggs explode and the most of them go bad. that's why the eggs must be vacuum packaged.

RedBank do you use the incubator or a broody hens ?

how many chicks you want to hatch ?

need the detail of the chosen breeders . Age and weight .and the color of the eggs from each hen.

you need to catch each hen and mark her eggs no speculation . true breeding.

all this sort of information will help me to plain your breeding program .

all the best

chooks man

I have just learned that maybe it was not the postmen's fault for damaged eggs.

if the eggs come in a big plane where the luggage is on the bottom of the plane, without oxygen and where the pressure is high, some eggs explode and the most of them go bad. that's why the eggs must be vacuum packaged.

interesting peace of information chickengr.

high pressure good point there.

Vacuum packaged I have to talk to Monique about that.

chooks man

RedBank do you use the incubator or a broody hens ?

how many chicks you want to hatch ?

need the detail of the chosen breeders . Age and weight .and the color of the eggs from each hen.

you need to catch each hen and mark her eggs no speculation . true breeding.

all this sort of information will help me to plain your breeding program .

all the best

chooks man
I have been using a broody hen but have been researching which incubator I want. If we are test breeding 10 is plenty, if 7 was sufficient I would do that. Okay. I have 6 hens that I think will more than pass the muster. I have the plastic ties all set up to band everyone.

I don't just want more chickens. I have enough. I am by myself and have more eggs than I can eat.

Ok you don t need a lot of eggs ,plus you have a space than you need to work with more rooster .same numbers as the hens 1/1ratio . you will have less eggs to deal with but better quality hatching chicks .

chooks man

So one rooster for every hen. How does that help the process? Not questioning you..... curious.

I have been using a broody hen but have been researching which incubator I want. If we are test breeding 10 is plenty, if 7 was sufficient I would do that. Okay. I have 6 hens that I think will more than pass the muster. I have the plastic ties all set up to band everyone.
48 eggs incubator breeding method; Need 2 minimum

Breeding flock ; BCM strain = 3 Rooster . Bello Claude and Antonio.
Hens = 6 Gabby etc....

6 different tagging colors are needed . each color is for each hen Roosters don t need color they are marked by the side of the tagged leg . Right. Left .or Both

example . Gabby Red color tag X Bello = hatch 1= all they progeny will be tagged . Red color Right leg
Gabby X Claude = hatch 2= Red color Left leg .
Gabby X Antonio = hatch 3 = Red color Both legs

hatching every 2or 3 weeks on the Stage 1=
pens needed = 3 small pens enough for a trio = 2 hens, the rooster is going to be with then for 24 hours every 3 day s and moved to the other pen every day for 3 weeks duration .Plus 2 big pens ( you all ready have) for the layer and the other 2 roosters.
do not use the eggs from the first week . only use the ones from week 2 and 3.

each hen should give you 16 fertile eggs in the 3 weeks period of breeding with one rooster.( Bello = Right tagged leg )
fist 8 of each hen will go to the bator . than a week after another 8 will go into the second bator.
both bator are full now . time to swap the Rooster ( Rooster 2 = Claude = Left tagged leg ).

run him with a lady 24 hours in each pen ( with a 2 hens) Do not use the eggs from week one. only week 2 and 3.
Do a same thing with Claude as you did with Bello .

than do it with Antonio.
3 month of selective breeding . well organized hatching , easy way of tagging and comparing the progeny. that all what you need .
you can extended if you want and work with just one 48 eggs incubator and do 1 hatch every month.

you can play with this method and tune it to your need and timing

Sorry too much Bla Bla.

choks man

Back
Top Bottom