International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RedBanks, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I see a small spot( or imperfection ) on the comb about half way, but I would not say it was a sprig, and I'm not sure what a coronation is.

2. RedBanks

RedBanks Overrun With Chickens

Sep 18, 2015
    I see a bump northwest of his eye in the tiny feathers.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I'll give him a few more months and watch how he develops.

4. RedBanks

Sep 18, 2015
    Of course.....

5. Chooks man

Chooks man Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    [​IMG]

look closely to the serration of his comb .he have 4 big dents .the first one is not clean dent there is a small one sticking it to it forming a M. that is sprig there.

at the end of the comb there is another M on top end . not a clean shape .

chooks man

6. RedBanks

Sep 18, 2015
    Thank you for this lesson. I wasn't looking there. I see what you mean. Combs are difficult aren't they?

7. Chooks man

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    they are very difficult to deal with if you don t know what are doing,

genetically speaking they are easy to fix ,because they are not related to something else . comb is comb . not like the feathers color . mahogany related to a black . ears tufts related to a shoulder and chest colors . this are difficult point to fix .NOT the comb , feathered shanks and all this sort of stuff.

when we want to fix this sort of problem we only need one breeder out of the 2 with the quality we are looking for.we can see this sort of things . So they are easy to fix. that why I leave them to the end. not a big deal .
    Eggs color . type. correct copper, nice pattern .all this point are hard to breed ,they take time to fix.

chooks man

8. Chooks man

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    here a 6 weeks old Blue copper cockerel with a nice eyes ( Blue ) and nice comb .free from any defect .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black copper cockerel with a nice comb ( not great but free from any deformity ) .nice eyes too .

young marans with a Green /Blue eyes will have nice orange eyes when adult.

chooks man

1 person likes this.
  9. Chooks man

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    the type of comb come from the mother hen. she have more to do with it than a rooster.

How we fix this problem ?

if we have a rooster with so many quality but with a bad comb than we have to work with and fix the problem .

we have to find a hen with a great comb even if she is not good in other thing ( except the mossyness . i never breed from a mossy hens ) we mate her to the Rooster we selected and we hatch some F1 chicks ( a lot of them will have a nice comb).

we select pullets from this F1 progeny with a good combs and mate them back to they sire F0 ( Rooster with a bad comb and other good qualities ) = we get the F2 progeny .a lot of them will have a nice comb and other good quality from they father.

we chose a cockerel from this F2 progeny with a good comb and other quality of his father and mate him to his dam/ants and produce F3 most of them will have a great comb and the qualities we kept from they sire.

Et Voila .

chooks man

2 people like this.
  10. Chooks man

Nov 12, 2015
    Australia NSW
    here how I select for type as early as i can .
    I do not feed the one s I m not going to keep . [​IMG]

Both cockerels are 17 days old . the one on the right Orange tag is great type short and chunky . well wide from the rear. he is a keeper.
    the one on the left Silver cuckoo no leg tag . bad type tall and skinny . Not a keeper.

Both have nice eyes color.

Selection at the early age .

chooks man

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by