International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I was surprised at some of the birds I saw. We are way to hard on our birds. LOL I am getting ready for a huge rehoming. There are a lot of people asking for hens. I think I am going to rehome most of my original hens, for sure the ones with the bad tails. I don't need all these chickens. I am constantly giving away eggs. I want to have only my top birds in the yard.

Same here! I sell and give away around 10-12 dozen eggs a week during the good laying parts of the year. That will fizzle out some as the heat of summer sets in and as the older hens molt. I have rehomed quite a few hens/pullets that I didnt need and still need to cull more. We have more cockerels to butcher this weekend so that will thin even more unneccessary birds out. You gotta cut feed costs best you can and feeding chickens you dont need is like throwing money in a hog's butt. You'll be able to focus on your best quality birds which will produce even better quality offspring. Culling hard is essential.

Same here! I sell and give away around 10-12 dozen eggs a week during the good laying parts of the year. That will fizzle out some as the heat of summer sets in and as the older hens molt. I have rehomed quite a few hens/pullets that I didnt need and still need to cull more. We have more cockerels to butcher this weekend so that will thin even more unneccessary birds out. You gotta cut feed costs best you can and feeding chickens you dont need is like throwing money in a hog's butt. You'll be able to focus on your best quality birds which will produce even better quality offspring. Culling hard is essential.
Don't think I have ever heard that expression before....."throwing money in a hog's butt" must be a Kentucky thing. A new one for my repertoire. I could sell the eggs but I have a hard time asking money from friends and neighbors. They do so much for me. I do sometimes use them to barter.

I went off the path again and saved a chick. Of course..... I will pay. I could hear it chirping and I was getting ready to throw the eggs out. I went ahead and tapped around the egg with a knife. The shell peeled right off. Nothing stuck to the chick but he, yes he has curled toes. I have taped them but he hasn't gotten up on his feet and really shuffled along. I have him in a small brooder next to the one containing all the other chicks. I had 16 strong healthy chicks and I just couldn't leave it at that. I certainly did not practice what I preach. I interfered.
:idunno
It is all your fault @chickengr. You convinced me I could do it.

Last edited:
This is not the same behavior as food pecking. I do have many chicks that do that. This is a much more aggressive peck, and the body posture of the chicks doing it is very different from those looking for food, both before and after the peck.

I know what you mean. Right now I can't put my hand in the brooder without a full onslaught- but the second they see no food they all back off. I got my chicks from a breeder that eats all aggressive birds though.

I went off the path again and saved a chick. Of course..... I will pay. I could hear it chirping and I was getting ready to throw the eggs out. I went ahead and tapped around the egg with a knife. The shell peeled right off. Nothing stuck to the chick but he, yes he has curled toes. I have taped them but he hasn't gotten up on his feet and really shuffled along. I have him in a small brooder next to the one containing all the other chicks. I had 16 strong healthy chicks and I just couldn't leave it at that. I certainly did not practice what I preach. I interfered.
:idunno
It is all your fault @chickengr. You convinced me I could do it.
I'm just catching up and I see more pages to read so maybe someone offered something and I will figure it out in a moment

But isn't there some vitamin that you can give to assist that? I read it somewhere here before

I'm just catching up and I see more pages to read so maybe someone offered something and I will figure it out in a moment

But isn't there some vitamin that you can give to assist that? I read it somewhere here before
Yes.... I think it is riboflavin. I have his feet splinted. I think tomorrow I will try to do a better job. I have never done it before.

Back
Top Bottom