International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

OK .now a little chooks genetic . So a little Bla Bla .

Chooks genes are grouped in two groups.
Group 1 are a sex linked genes. other world this genes are related to sex .the rooster have 2 copies and the hen have one copies.So the Roo will passe his genes to all his progeny ,and the hen can only passes her genes to her son s Not daughters
.Example . Gold s+/Silver S . Rooster have 2 = SS if silver and the hen have just one expressed S-. same for Golden s+s+ for the roo and s+- for the he
Id genes responsible for lighting up the shanks . Rooster always have a lighter shank than the hens

there  is more sex linked genes . most of them are unknown to us.
the reason why the type is from the hen because the chick come from the egg . the egg come from the hen SO the hen dictate the size of the egg and that will determine the size of the chick and over all type.

Group 2; are the Autossomal genes ( any thing is not sex linked than is Autossomal ) both sexes have the 2 copies .
Example ; Feather shank Pti1 . both hen and rooster have 2 copies of this genes . So both are Pti1/Pti1

some are more complex ,like the Autossomal Red ( Red shoulder and spotted chest . both have a genes but some hens do no show up  . like a black copper hen she is black no red shoulder but can have a spotted chest .
It is never strait forward with chooks genetic.

hope that will help .

we can map the genes as we go on in this thread .

chooks man

Example . Gold s+/Silver S . Rooster have 2 = SS if silver and the hen have just one expressed S-. same for Golden s+s+ for the roo and s+- for the he

Thanks Chooks Man - I have much to learn about genetics and selection to express the desirable traits.

Yes.... that is why I want them.  Because they are pure.  I think Heaven Sent has kept her LP Marans pure too.

She has. I have her on my facebook. :) Her name is Deborah Stuhr. Her LP Marans are stunning but her HSR line lays darker eggs. I creep her facebook and website all the time. Plus she is a hoot! And she named her Great Pyrenees Bruiser.. our old male GP was named Bruiser. :D

Last edited:
Ok, we can make progress on breeding out a sprig. How bad is it if I have two hens with split wings and 3 roos without spilt wings as my beginning base to start my flock with?

Or do I just need to bite the bullet and get more chicks in order to get some females that don't show the split wings?

Here is an article I have bookmarked. It says birds with split wing should not be used for breeding as it is a recessive gene and will be passed to the offspring. @Chooks man may have some advice on split wing.

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/recessive-genes-faults/
many thanks, it will be interesting to get chook man's take on this. Grins

Ok, we can make progress on breeding out a sprig. How bad is it if I have two hens with split wings and 3 roos without spilt wings as my beginning base to start my flock with?

Or do I just need to bite the bullet and get more chicks in order to get some females that don't show the split wings?

Here is an article I have bookmarked. It says birds with split wing should not be used for breeding as it is a recessive gene and will be passed to the offspring. [@=/u/389360/Chooks-man]@Chooks man[/@] may have some advice on split wing.

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/recessive-genes-faults/

many thanks, it will be interesting to get chook man's take on this. Grins

Chooks man will say, "No worries..... it ain't no hill for a stepper."
now that's funny. Guess I'd best get to stepping. Lol

She has. I have her on my facebook.
smile.png
Her name is Deborah Stuhr. Her LP Marans are stunning but her HSR line lays darker eggs. I creep her facebook and website all the time. Plus she is a hoot! And she named her Great Pyrenees Bruiser.. our old male GP was named Bruiser.
big_smile.png
Sorry @RedBanks if my reply sounded confusing. When I said "she has" I was talking about Heaven Sent Ranch (Deborah Stuhr). She maintains two separate lines of Black Copper Marans on her farm, her HSR line that she created and the pure Little Peddlers. She sells chicks and hatching eggs from both lines.

Back
Top Bottom