International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I m actually writing a books . more of the work manual to be exact . name it . " my journey with a marans chooks "

is going to be great asset to any body who like a marans chooks .how to breed them ,rise them ,work with , genetic make up . genetic mapping . etc.............

plus half of it will be photos of gorgeous marans of all varieties .

chooks man

when you finish your book I believe all of us will buy it.

here some of the eggs picked today against the French color chart .

this is one dozen selected from 3 dozens picked today . 33.5% worthy to go to the bator . free from any deformity .65/70 g no more no less .nice colors from 4 to 7 .

well happy with this amount daily. will give me 7 dozens a week to be incubated. I ll be right on my target .

chooks man

here some of the eggs picked today against the French color chart .

this is one dozen selected from 3 dozens picked today . 33.5% worthy to go to the bator . free from any deformity .65/70 g no more no less .nice colors from 4 to 7 .

well happy with this amount daily. will give me 7 dozens a week to be incubated. I ll be right on my target .

chooks man
They are beautiful....... would you mind at some point showing a incubator worthy egg and a not worthy egg. Just some of the things you look for. Looks like the move did not set you back but will help you be organized for a really great year. Even on my little scale, getting things organized makes chicken life much easier..... especially if you have the right facilities.

Good Morning,

@kfelton0002

I would love to see some pictures. The no tail cockerel will get a tail...... my prettiest boy didn't have a tail for a very long time but as I have said in the past he did have a wry tail. He was the only one out of 30 birds. I culled a lot of the high tail boys..... but as we have learned here I could have worked with that. I just didn't need to so much because I had the three I kept. I don't like the tails on Claude and Bello either. Antonio has a good tail.

Just have to see what they have going for them and because they are FRF.... I imagine they have a lot.

Do you have a nice cockerel from your LA line? Don't you have more pullets from that line? Just one pullet from FRF.

Don't study too hard..... glad to see you.

Good Morning,

@kfelton0002

I would love to see some pictures.  The no tail cockerel will get a tail...... my prettiest boy didn't have a tail for a very long time but as I have said in the past he did have a wry tail.  He was the only one out of 30 birds.  I culled a lot of the high tail boys..... but as we have learned here I could have worked with that.  I just didn't need to so much because I had the three I kept.  I don't like the tails on Claude and Bello either.  Antonio has a good tail.  

Just have to see what they have going for them and because they are FRF.... I imagine they have a lot.

Do you have a nice cockerel from your LA line?  Don't you have more pullets from that line?  Just one pullet from FRF.

Don't study too hard..... glad to see you.

Glad to see you too Redbanks! Ive missed talking to my chicken people.

I will take some pics as soon as I get a free moment. I will probably be keeping the wry tailed cockerel and the one with no tail to keep an eye on. The other with the bad comb, bad tail, and wierd back feathers will probably be culled.

I only have one pullet for now from FRF and I only kept one cockerel and 3 pullets from LA.

I look forward to getting more eggs from FRF when the weather cools. Hopefully I will have a better hatch rate with the pure LP and pure GFF lines.

Gonna go study a while before class. Take care! :)

here some of the eggs picked today against the French color chart . this is one dozen selected from 3 dozens picked today . 33.5% worthy to go to the bator . free from any deformity .65/70 g no more no less .nice colors from 4 to 7 . well happy with this amount daily. will give me 7 dozens a week to be incubated. I ll be right on my target . chooks man
Gorgeous, one of my F2 girls laid her first egg 2 days ago. It is a 6.

Hey guys! Taking a break from my reading to stop in. I just went down to check on my coops. I am a bit concerned with my cockerels from FRF. The one I liked the best (#1) STILL doesnt have a tail and they are 3 months old.

Cockerel #2 has a wierd looking comb that is starting to lop over in the back. He also has a really high and long tail already. He also has something funky going on with his back feathers. They arch and stick up in the middle of his back and lay the opposite direction that they should (they have been this way for quite a while and havent resolved). He is more than likely chicken dinner.

Cockerel #3 is looking good but has what looks like a wry tail!

I will take pics when I can.

I had one hatch from ebay that was rumpless. He was really mean and used to get in the nesting box poop on the eggs and injured another Chicken so badly we had roast chicken 3 days later.

Quote: I don't think he is rumpless. This cockerel didn't get a tail for a very long time. Exact same bloodlines, maybe same sire and dam.
For those of you who know my birds this is the group that included Gabby and Bello.

Last edited:
I had a visual today of how Olive Eggers produce green eggs.

I painted an oil lamp this color. (Blue Egg Gene)

Then I put a coat of brown wax (Marans style) on it. Viola!
Green

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom