International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Is it you laptop thats causing you problems for posting? Like, you can't retrieve your photos from their file or are you not able to transfer them from your device to your laptop?

If you want, you can send them to me from your phone on FB and I can post for you.

LOL I really want to see pics :p

Here with another question for everyone.

I would like to hear what everyones systems are for taggin and recording data from you chickens. Anywhere from lineage to lay dates, lay numbers etc..

I admit, this is a very weak area for me. I do like to record loads of information. I don't use any type of taggin system or software. Only record on my calendar and in a notebook. I know there's got to be better ways and I'm very interested for those willing to share.. as much detail as possible please.

<3

Here with another question for everyone.

I would like to hear what everyones systems are for taggin and recording data from you chickens. Anywhere from lineage to lay dates, lay numbers etc..

I admit, this is a very weak area for me. I do like to record loads of information. I don't use any type of taggin system or software. Only record on my calendar and in a notebook. I know there's got to be better ways and I'm very interested for those willing to share.. as much detail as possible please.

<3

I only have about 20 chickens that need to be kept track of at the moment, if I have more I may change my system to something that is more definitive later on (like numbered leg bands).

For now I use a colored zip tie system, Chooks man uses something similar for his chicks if I remember correctly.

I also use a chart that I found online to note down who was bred to who and the details of their offspring, you can find that same chart here: http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/support-files/breedingrecords.pdf

I only have about 20 chickens that need to be kept track of at the moment, if I have more I may change my system to something that is more definitive later on (like numbered leg bands).

For now I use a colored zip tie system, Chooks man uses something similar for his chicks if I remember correctly.

I also use a chart that I found online to note down who was bred to who and the details of their offspring, you can find that same chart here: http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/support-files/breedingrecords.pdf
I bought some 4" colored zip ties that are still in their package. So you use a form similar to that? What details do you like to keep track of? Also, how do you keep track of project birds. Birds that have been outcrossed so have a more complicated *pedigree*?

My Chicken Ridge Farm group is developing so fast! Not even 4 months yet, and they're already crowing up a storm. Makes for quite the symphony in the morning with my other boys.

I need to start paring down my group before my neighbors start sending hate mail, lol. Any advice on which of these I should keep would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Blade Runner - This guy's comb started out flopping to the side but has since made a serious attempt to stand up. He's the tallest of the 3 and also the most dominant.

#2 Shy Guy - He really lives up to his name, and the only halfway decent shot I got of him today is the one above, with Blade. He's the smallest.

Here are 2 from Dec. 13:

#3 Copper - No feathering on legs, but my Bev Davis girls (Pinky Pie's sibs) have A LOT of feathering. Nicest comb. Almost as tall as Blade and just as robust.

Copper and Blade: (I just noticed some of the copper on their chests almost look like laced feathers. Might this molt out?)

Copper and Blade with Shy Guy in the back. Plus one of my Lav/Isabel/Marington/whatever cockerels in the mix.
wink.png
Too many boys!!

Last edited:
For those who like pictures, here's my project group.
big_smile.png

#2 - Sadly, one of the points got pecked off by another chicken.

The girls:

And a pic with my 4mo mule colt who was a surprise 2-for-1 deal when I bought his mama, lol.

My Chicken Ridge Farm group is developing so fast! Not even 4 months yet, and they're already crowing up a storm. Makes for quite the symphony in the morning with my other boys. I need to start paring down my group before my neighbors start sending hate mail, lol. Any advice on which of these I should keep would be greatly appreciated! #1 Blade Runner - This guy's comb started out flopping to the side but has since made a serious attempt to stand up. He's the tallest of the 3 and also the most dominant. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] #2 Shy Guy - He really lives up to his name, and the only halfway decent shot I got of him today is the one above, with Blade. He's the smallest. Here are 2 from Dec. 13: #3 Copper - No feathering on legs, but my Bev Davis girls (Pinky Pie's sibs) have A LOT of feathering. Nicest comb. Almost as tall as Blade and just as robust. Copper and Blade: (I just noticed some of the copper on their chests almost look like laced feathers. Might this molt out?) Copper and Blade with Shy Guy in the back. Plus one of my Lav/Isabel/Marington/whatever cockerels in the mix. ;) Too many boys!!
Winterhorses, In order I like Copper, Blade and Shy Guy. In my opinion, (1) Copper is showing the best color and type (good tail set and nice long flat back), (2) Blade has nice color, good tail set and nice long flat back - his breast seems flat or shallow to me, and (3) Shy Guy is showing the least color - he seems too dark to me. You can fix the leg feathering with Copper in one generation so not a big deal. Copper has nice copper ear tufts and copper flecking on his breast - he'll add the copper hackles to his female progeny. I would grow out Copper and Blade for another couple of months to see how they mature. Nice birds! Keith

Back
Top Bottom