International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

img_20170823_100952557-jpg.1119103

@Fanci Feathers Marans
you have a lot grass there .all green .
we did not had any rain this winter .3 months of dry spell . Hope we get some soon .

BCM cockerel .STUNNING BODY MARKING AND RICH UNIFORM COPPER .

chooks man

Ernie Haire, has several different varieties of Marans. His BC lay a 6-7 on average. These females I used are several year old. Ernie has done real well showing his Marans to the APA SOP for several year. I am a type breeder an happy with a #6 on average for color.

Sound like he is a good marans breeders . I ll have a look and see what I can find about him .
we need more of dedicated marans breeders in this world .

I m like that too .like my hens to lay #6 for a long period and she need to lay 150/180 eggs a year .PLUS she need to have a good body conformation .
too many good traits need to be balanced in the marans hens not just #8/#9 egg colour

chooks man

Sounds like a plan then. I like wing bands because the number follows the bird for the rest of its life. We have a hen that is 16 years old and she still has her original wing band. Leg bands fall off or break at times, but we very rarely have a chicken to lose a wing band.

very good point .
having too much trouble with a leg bands .

16 years old hen is a testament of your a care for your animal .
my hat to you .BRAVO

chooks man

very good point .
having too much trouble with a leg bands .

16 years old hen is a testament of your a care for your animal .
my hat to you .BRAVO

chooks man

Thank you! Yes we love her so even though she only lays about 12-18 eggs a year and they dont hatch well anymore she still gets to stick around. She's earned her keep. :) She is our original hen in one of our lines of gamefowl so she is the matriarch. Dont let her advanced age fool you, she doesnt look a day over 3 years old. Lol
received_991537084250369.jpeg
orca-image-1503566457486.jpg_1503566457618.jpeg

mp6w-jpg.1119362

@littlepeeps81
magpie is gorgeous .she is going to have a stunning coppery hackle even her ears tuft is clear .
her eyes are brown they are not going to change if they where green/blue at that age will be great .
keep your eyes on her .

happy for you

chooks man
Thank you chooks man, I'll get some new pics of her in a couple more months. I hope she will make a nice pullet.

you are alright .both are a cull too many fault pilled up in one tiny body .

BCM parasitic white .small and bad comb . all major fault .
he has stunning body marking and rich uniform red copper . shame

BLCM . straw hackle .small and has a white under fluff ( should be grey /blue ).

parasitic white and lighter under fluff are the nightmare to breed out .

chooks man
Thanks a lot. I just wanted to make sure before I go to making stew.... Don't chickens generally inherit color from the sire and shape from the dam?

Here's another hen. A little better body shape than the last blue I posted. She's kind of fat after being in the broody house for two months, but she's still got her back feathers. Not much copper on her.
IMG_20170824_092411.jpg

IMG_20170824_092028199.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I just wanted to make sure before I go to making stew.... Don't chickens generally inherit color from the sire and shape from the dam?

Here's another hen. A little better body shape than the last blue I posted. She's kind of fat after being in the broody house for two months, but she's still got her back feathers. Not much copper on her.
View attachment 1119889
View attachment 1119890

she is great type big hen .
love every thing about her except her white ears lobe ( I m not sure if it is from the light reflection or she has a white ears lobe ) Check it for me please .
White ears lobe is a disqualify and it is a big problem .

2 more thing she is lucking too .her comb is short missing the back of it .but she has a right shape and point .
the other thing is the lighter under fluff around her wings . should be all grey/ light blue not white .maybe the light is causing all sort of shade .

mated to a correct BCM rooster ( well colored ). she ll throw nice cockerels .

chooks man

she is great type big hen .
love every thing about her except her white ears lobe ( I m not sure if it is from the light reflection or she has a white ears lobe ) Check it for me please .
White ears lobe is a disqualify and it is a big problem .

2 more thing she is lucking too .her comb is short missing the back of it .but she has a right shape and point .
the other thing is the lighter under fluff around her wings . should be all grey/ light blue not white .maybe the light is causing all sort of shade .

mated to a correct BCM rooster ( well colored ). she ll throw nice cockerels .

chooks man
No, her earlobe is not white. The feathering there has some white, but the skin is red. As for the comb, I don't know what happened. Maybe she cut it and it grew back funny, but it wasn't always that way. The second picture is more accurate as far as under color. No real white there. Here she is in the shade.
IMG_20170824_175549009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom