International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

When talking about hackle 'flame' you're talking about the individual feathers, right? And just to make sure I'm understanding, the skinnier the black line down the cocks lower hackle the better?

When talking about hackle 'flame' you're talking about the individual feathers, right? And just to make sure I'm understanding, the skinnier the black line down the cocks lower hackle the better?

yes we are talking about each individual feather .
wider flame = the black line is wider .more than half of the feather but they do not cut through all the feather . making the feather look more black bordered with copper rather than split .
thinner flame are just a thin black line in the middle . doesn t cut through all the way . making the feather look copper with a thin black line.
super wider flames = are super wide and they go all the way through the feather , making a feather look black with side thin borders of copper . bottom third of those feather is black .

chooks man

Chooks man, thank you so much for the guidance!! Magpie is their full brother. I will do this and see what happens. It may take awhile, but hopefully somewhere down the line I can get a darker egg. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences.

if you do that and hatch a minimum of 25 chicks .you ll get a few pullets with a dark egg gene 100% .even 1 or 2 .

here the formula =
Magpie X his full sister = PG1 ( progeny one )
select any pullets with darker eggs than they mom ( that all what do you need for stage one )
mate those pullet to Magpie ( they sire and uncle in the same time ) and get PG2 .
select the best pullets from those PG2 with dark egg genes , those pullets will be your pure inbred line they father is they sire /uncle/ Grand father. true inbred . they ll ready to out cross them to a selected Rooster to produce they son ,s .Who will be mated back to them to purify the line again without running into heavy inbreeding quickly .

select well . minimize the fault in each generation going forward to the breeding program

chooks man

kfelton0002, unfortunatly the egg color is only a 4 on the color scale. I am extremely disappointed. I just expected so much more. I hoped for at least 5's or 6's but I don't think I'm gonna get it out of any of my girls!!:hit

Hang in there! As long as you're getting solid 4's you can improve a line by brining in a cockerel who hatched from a very dark egg if you have to. Breeding marans is challenging.

Last edited:
I am just curious. It seems a lot of my pullets have the same markings around earlobe as the one in background of pic#2. Is that what's classified as white earlobe? I hope so or I got rid of numerous pullets for nothing

I have culled that hen as a breeder due to her high tail, and wondered the same thing about her pale earlobes. I dont plan on using her for breeding, but that is a good question Im glad you asked that will help when selecting breeders and culling in the future.

Last edited:
if you do that and hatch a minimum of 25 chicks .you ll get a few pullets with a dark egg gene 100% .even 1 or 2 .

here the formula =
Magpie X his full sister = PG1 ( progeny one )
select any pullets with darker eggs than they mom ( that all what do you need for stage one )
mate those pullet to Magpie ( they sire and uncle in the same time ) and get PG2 .
select the best pullets from those PG2 with dark egg genes , those pullets will be your pure inbred line they father is they sire /uncle/ Grand father. true inbred . they ll ready to out cross them to a selected Rooster to produce they son ,s .Who will be mated back to them to purify the line again without running into heavy inbreeding quickly .

select well . minimize the fault in each generation going forward to the breeding program

chooks man

I saved this recipe in with my other gazillion notes from this thread. So the question is.. I have 1 hen and 1 cockerel along with the hatches I'm getting out of them. I am very lucky to have what I do, even if it is a rooster with bad legs and bad comb. Their type is great, coloring is decent. So, with what I have, is there a way I can create 2 separate lines just out of the original pair without bad inbreeding? I don't see how I could, but y'all are wizards so I bring the question to you.

It's been a while since I visited this thread and I have a lot to catch up on, but I just wanted to drop in and say a big thank you to chooks man and chickensgr!
Thanks to your introduction to Marans Aspiran I was able to get in touch with Monique, and last week I had the absolute pleasure of meeting her She is an amazing woman, and so very kind. She generously took the time to show me around her home, all of the beautiful birds she has, as well as the ones with faults, which she described for my education. And the most amazing part, she gifted me 36 eggs for hatching!
I bought an incubator on the way home and this morning I have set all of the eggs... I'm very excited right now to be starting out on this journey, thanks again to everyone for all of the information you share here!

It's been a while since I visited this thread and I have a lot to catch up on, but I just wanted to drop in and say a big thank you to chooks man and chickensgr!
Thanks to your introduction to Marans Aspiran I was able to get in touch with Monique, and last week I had the absolute pleasure of meeting her She is an amazing woman, and so very kind. She generously took the time to show me around her home, all of the beautiful birds she has, as well as the ones with faults, which she described for my education. And the most amazing part, she gifted me 36 eggs for hatching!
I bought an incubator on the way home and this morning I have set all of the eggs... I'm very excited right now to be starting out on this journey, thanks again to everyone for all of the information you share here!

I m so pleased and happy for you .
we all share the same passion . love for the marans chooks .

Monique Berte for me she is the goddess of the marans chooks .

all the best
Chooks man

Back
Top Bottom