International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

IMG_0085.JPG I wish they were all that dark

img_3043-jpg.1144230

@Hensndoes

you have a gorgeous specimen . sublime .I love every thing about him . he is pretty but he has some thing attractive about him . pretty as my Elvis ( Blue Wheaten rooster)
very rare to come a cross such a creature ,well put together ,correct in most of the area .
need to find him a BCM pullet and start breeding marans .

thank you for sharing those photos with us .

chooks man

Now he's blushing! Thank you! I've liked him the most since I caught him mating the legbar at 6 weeks. He keeps watch on his brother and future lady yet is very calm. I can't wait to see how he matures

Are the pointed black portions(not sure what to call it) of the hackle and saddle feathers indicative of a mixed breed? This bird is 19 weeks old, he is definitely still sprouting some hackles-lots of pins between neck and back yet.
TIA.

View attachment 1146033

View attachment 1146034

View attachment 1146035

don t worry about it .it is just a mutation of the hackle feathers .
the black feathers you see are not fully black the bottom part is coppery ,

he is stunning .great body type and well colored .
love his tail . full and closed ( not open) his pullet will have a nice thin pointed tail . very rare in your country .a lot open square tails I noticed .

he is a top nosh breeder for sure .he is all CLASS

chooks man

upload_2017-9-26_17-34-0-png.1146035

love his tail , short . wide at the base and closed at the top . forming the pyramid desired by the standard .what a great tail.
love the straightness of his legs and the width too .well spaced .
his feathers are free from any fluff and his wing are well held close to his body . great trait .
his is all Class ,love the way he walk s CORRECT

chooks man

upload_2017-9-26_17-33-41-png.1146034

@aart
you BCM cockerel is all CLASS ( his comb need a little work).
solid and full of vigor . sign of strength and health
love the thickness of his head ,the depth of his chest , the triangular body shape .length of his back .purity of his black plumage .

and his priceless rich copper .

chooks man

don t worry about it .it is just a mutation of the hackle feathers .
the black feathers you see are not fully black the bottom part is coppery ,
Great, thanks! I thought they were supposed to be solid copper with no darker areas at all. Is it OK for females to have this in their hackles also?

Glad his body is shaping up, he's got a good demeanor (so far) too.
I kept him over the 2 blues I had(not sure you remember them).
Only problem with this guy is he's the one with the Withered Wattle,
thus renamed from Thor to Willie (of the Withered Wattle).
Doesn't really matter as I'm not going for SOP.
Time will tell(~next June) if that wattle is an injury or genetic.

my youngsters are 20 and 21 weeks old. 2-3 pullets have pale earlobes. I think 1 of them has white ear lobes and for the others I am not sure as their faces are still pale, the same colour as ear lobes. at what age should should their ear lobes be red?

Back
Top Bottom