International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thx but I was just browsing. No intention of bringing another line in at this time
I am with you on this. I am going to work with what I have. Kayla and I are okay right now because we both have the same birds in her FRF line but other than that I will just keep with the lines I have. It should take me the rest of my days to get them right.

Yaay. At least 2 keepers for my dark egg breeders. With flash on.
EC4F3EB9-62C1-417B-AD67-19C5DA716286.jpeg

Attachments

• 2111C263-F91F-4CA4-BDDB-E580ECDFD8B8.jpeg
    2111C263-F91F-4CA4-BDDB-E580ECDFD8B8.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 7
@Chooks man Here is a closeup pic of the LA pullet's comb that laid the speckled egg yesterday. She wouldn't stand still so I could get a good pic of her body but you saw her body in the video. She was stressed because she doesn't like our new GP pup being close and he stays under our feet. She is in the pen with Apollo now. She has whitish earlobes.

View attachment 1192939
23847021_2066556036748463_1657359573_o-1-jpg.1192939

her comb is not great like I though . has an irregular point .too many of them .plus the front of the comb is not as tidy smooth rounded .
what her comb has is a strong base and the back of it ( lobe) is well lifted .still has an irregularity but not split .
her comb hasn t got any disqualify fault in there .it is workable for sure .

the problem I see with her is her earlobe is too white not grayish easy to work with .I think you have a better pullets to work with . the white earlobe is going to give you a problem in the future .because you are going to work with Sibling and half sibling mating .
what other quality you see on her ,because me I did not have a chance to see her photos properly .
to get ready of the white earlobe of any strain we have to introduce ( cross it ) a strain with a pure red earlobes .
the same thing I did with a Zambezi ( a little grayish earlobe) mated to Soumaya . all the progeny has a red earlobe .Now I selected only the pullets to mate them to they half brothers with a red earlobe to produce an F2 progeny . some of this progeny will show a little degree of impurity in they earlobe ( grayish ) but most of them will be pure red earlobe .

if we need to breed from a chook with a majore fault .we need to find some thing in that chooks is so special we want to breed true ( dark egg .stunning body .great body color pattern ,etc.......) some thing worth a trouble of hatching and culling .

Don t panic you have a great base to work with .

chooks man

Hello All,

I'm doing well! I am close to finishing rebuilding my parents house after the flood caused by Hurricane Harvey. I have a couple of more weeks of work and they can move back home. I'm taking Thanksgiving Week off.

Y'all have been REALLY BUSY on this thread!! I've enjoyed seeing all the new pics - lots of beautiful Marans! My bride has done a good job taking care of my Marans while I've been away. I'm way behind on my breeding plan for this coming year so I have some catching up to do. I had to leave about the time my 2017 pullets started laying so I have no idea who is laying what.

RedBanks & KFelton0002 - So happy to see y'all teaming up! Y'all both have beautiful birds and they should compliment each other very well.

ChooksMan - You have some stunning Marans my Friend! And Thank You for the continuing education on all things Marans.

Chickengr - So happy to hear you were not affected by the floods in Greece! Also, your girls are giving you some nice dark eggs.

Take Care All,
Keith

it is great to know you finished building your parent house . very Nobel act my friend .BRAVO .
there is alway time to breed your chooks don t to worry too much .they are not going any where ,just getting more mature and prettier that all .plus they eggs get larger too .good for breeding .

all the best my friend

chooks mam

I m well pleased with my chooks .

17 chicks in all, no chicks died, none are weak, I thought one was weak but he was just tired. Very strong, very vigorous. So cute.... bouncing of the walls.

@Chooks man - size does matter! Some chicks are much bigger than others and I do have a couple of hens that lay really big eggs.

for sure the chicks are different in size .because they have a different Dam s .
the size from the Dam any way not from Antonio .
Antonio still have an influence on them but not as great as they Dam s .
the size of the egg dictate the size of the chicks .

my Bella /Cheetah and Sari all this 3 hens lay a super large eggs 78g and the chicks that hatched from them are all around a 65 g .

17 chicks sound like a great music to my ears .
you see RedBank wasn t hard any way .now you can sit back and watch them growing .they will teach you any thing you want to know about the marans breed ,just observe and take note .
weight them every couples of weeks to keep a great mass record and how they are growing .
when the first coppery feather appear on them .and they tail feathers are growing .all this note will help you to become a great breeders .

Well happy for you . the birth of RedBank BCM line .

Ah one thing you need to mark the egg from which hen they come from ,so you can tell in the future which pairing worked better .

Chooks man

for sure the chicks are different in size .because they have a different Dam s .
the size from the Dam any way not from Antonio .
Antonio still have an influence on them but not as great as they Dam s .
the size of the egg dictate the size of the chicks .

my Bella /Cheetah and Sari all this 3 hens lay a super large eggs 78g and the chicks that hatched from them are all around a 65 g .

17 chicks sound like a great music to my ears .
you see RedBank wasn t hard any way .now you can sit back and watch them growing .they will teach you any thing you want to know about the marans breed ,just observe and take note .
weight them every couples of weeks to keep a great mass record and how they are growing .
when the first coppery feather appear on them .and they tail feathers are growing .all this note will help you to become a great breeders .

Well happy for you . the birth of RedBank BCM line .

Ah one thing you need to mark the egg from which hen they come from ,so you can tell in the future which pairing worked better .

Chooks man

Thanks Chooks man...... I always appreciate all of your support.

Back
Top Bottom