International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

#1 still has hardly any wing feathers compared to the others who have nice long feathers. At a week old it's still looking like a couple days old. For some reason I thought darker face was a sign of girl but this one is very slow to feather - and is still the biggest of all 4. It's also my favorite so you know what that usually means.

Slow feathering cockerel? :hmm

#1 still has hardly any wing feathers compared to the others who have nice long feathers. At a week old it's still looking like a couple days old. For some reason I thought darker face was a sign of girl but this one is very slow to feather - and is still the biggest of all 4. It's also my favorite so you know what that usually means.

I went back and looked at the pics again and I see that #1 stands more upright but from those pics I would not say cockerel. Got a new pic?

Last edited:
IMG_3591.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG
I went back and looked at the pics again and I see that #1 stands more upright but from those pics I would not say cockerel. Got a new pic?

Here it is with #2 again. All others are feathering at same rate and their feathers go all the way to their tails. there's a pic of #2s wing feathers for comparison. I know #1 looks more upright but I'm not sure if that isn't just because I plucked it out of the brooder. It doesn't like being fussed and throws a chirpy fit when I do that. I don't see it standing upright when in the brooder.

He's handsome. I'm a bit of a novice but wouldn't mind taking a stab. The elders will correct me. Nice long back and tail angle. nice comb too. If anything maybe it hangs a bit far on the back of the head - you'll have to ask the veterans. Chooks may have said something about the fold in the waddle. Color is beautiful with no leakage on the breast. A bit sparse on the leg feathers but an easy fix. He's a stunner.

Where are his spurs?
The spurs are there, just hard to see.
Thank you :)

View attachment 1371377 View attachment 1371376 View attachment 1371375 View attachment 1371374

Here it is with #2 again. All others are feathering at same rate and their feathers go all the way to their tails. there's a pic of #2s wing feathers for comparison. I know #1 looks more upright but I'm not sure if that isn't just because I plucked it out of the brooder. It doesn't like being fussed and throws a chirpy fit when I do that. I don't see it standing upright when in the brooder.
I still say pullet. I just can't discount that comb. Everything else reads cockerel but I am going to stick with pullet. I usually don't have any trouble with this and I know right away but this one has me baffled. It does have some nice big legs! I did have a pullet in my last hatch that was twice the size of any of the other chicks. I can't wait to find out.... Can you send a pic of #3? He was the for sure cockerel right?

I still say pullet. I just can't get past that comb. Everything else reads cockerel but I am going to stick with pullet.

With everything I've learned here I have to agree. Legs are no thicker than anyone else's. Yes it was and now still is a tad larger but there is no guarantee they all came from the same parent stock. Small breeder but plenty of hens. If it is a girl I think it'll be a nice stout one.

Edit: maybe it's like @kfelton0002 bird and I will have to build it its own restroom to avoid protests.

With everything I've learned here I have to agree. Legs are no thicker than anyone else's. Yes it was and now still is a tad larger but there is no guarantee they all came from the same parent stock. Small breeder but plenty of hens. If it is a girl I think it'll be a nice stout one.
So pretty!

@Hensndoes I added a little to the post while you were reading it/like.

I can take pic of #3 tomo. I just finished harassing them and turned their light out. I was comparing leg thicknesses and saw no difference between 1,2, and 4. 3 was hiding under the broody plate and a faverolle caught my eye so it got off easy. It's easy right now to tell the difference between them cuz 3 & 4 have feathers on the middle toe.

What are the best pictures angles for evaluation of chicks? Thanks!
If pictures are for evaluating against the SOP we wait until they are older. Those pictures would be front, side, back and close up of head. Chicks we just take pictures to figure out the sex and see how cute they are!

Back
Top Bottom