International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I was struggling to get pictures to upload to byc on my phone earlier, but here they are finally. This is one of my cockerels that caught my eye today that has just blossomed into such a pretty guy! I love his long back and topline for now. Fingers crossed he stays this nice! He does have some leakage but not much and that is okay, some shafting too but his mass is good and he is a well balanced bird. Looking forward to watching him in the months come. :)

View attachment 1408857 View attachment 1408858 View attachment 1408859
Very nice!

I have never had any mean marans. all of my chickens try to eat my fingers, especially nails, not because they are mean (they are puppies) but because they think I am feeding them. give your chicks time to grow and to see what they are like.

This is not the same behavior as food pecking. I do have many chicks that do that. This is a much more aggressive peck, and the body posture of the chicks doing it is very different from those looking for food, both before and after the peck.

Anyone follow Marans Chicken Group on FB? I know I have seen @kfelton0002 on there. The reason I ask is someone from Australia posted a group of what appeared to be very high quality Marans they were looking to purchase. Can't help to think this may have been some of @Chooks man's birds being sold to recupe some of the costs. Look to be extremely nice stock.
I just joined the group. I must have missed that.

I was struggling to get pictures to upload to byc on my phone earlier, but here they are finally. This is one of my cockerels that caught my eye today that has just blossomed into such a pretty guy! I love his long back and topline for now. Fingers crossed he stays this nice! He does have some leakage but not much and that is okay, some shafting too but his mass is good and he is a well balanced bird. Looking forward to watching him in the months come. :)

View attachment 1408857 View attachment 1408858 View attachment 1408859
Looking good

what I learned in this thread is that roo is responsible for colour. therefore somewhat darker roo could fix mossiness.

I have never had any mean marans. all of my chickens try to eat my fingers, especially nails, not because they are mean (they are puppies) but because they think I am feeding them. give your chicks time to grow and to see what they are like.
I agree the reasoning sounds like a easy fix, but i got a feeling it's not that easy. I have had mossy birds with no hackel color before, if mossiness is caused by over coloring you would think they would have hackel color. I think there's more to it than basic reasoning can explain, i been dealing with mossiness since my first batch of marans. It's a real pain.

I don't know where to look, can you post the link. I did see some show birds on Marans Fanciers.

Not sure how to link a FB post. Her name is Kerry Carson. She has one post made a couple days ago. I believe the group is an open page. Just was thinking out loud that it could possibly be some of his stock that he was working on. They aren’t perfect but have great body type.

Not sure how to link a FB post. Her name is Kerry Carson. She has one post made a couple days ago. I believe the group is an open page. Just was thinking out loud that it could possibly be some of his stock that he was working on. They aren’t perfect but have great body type.

I am a member there, as well. Here is her post. I don't see any Black Coppers there, though; only Wheatons.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1787251458165890/permalink/2511449869079375/

I agree the reasoning sounds like a easy fix, but i got a feeling it's not that easy. I have had mossy birds with no hackel color before, if mossiness is caused by over coloring you would think they would have hackel color. I think there's more to it than basic reasoning can explain, i been dealing with mossiness since my first batch of marans. It's a real pain.
There is so much about Marans that is a mystery. If things were cut and dryed we would all be producing #9 eggs.
I will look for it thank you. You can copy the http and past it in your post. I was looking at the show birds, many of us have show birds.

Back
Top Bottom