International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I know what you mean. Right now I can't put my hand in the brooder without a full onslaught- but the second they see no food they all back off. I got my chicks from a breeder that eats all aggressive birds though.

We eat (or sell to someone else who will EAT) all of the rude boys. I've never had a mean HEN before. I honestly know very little about the group she came from, as the breeder was not wonderful at keeping up communication. Or maybe I just asked too many questions for his taste and he got sick of answering. *shrugs*

RedBanks, good luck with that curled toe. Let us know how it works out with the riboflavin. I had one last year with curled toes but sadly he had other issues, too, and didn't make it past day 4.

I went off the path again and saved a chick. Of course..... I will pay. I could hear it chirping and I was getting ready to throw the eggs out. I went ahead and tapped around the egg with a knife. The shell peeled right off. Nothing stuck to the chick but he, yes he has curled toes. I have taped them but he hasn't gotten up on his feet and really shuffled along. I have him in a small brooder next to the one containing all the other chicks. I had 16 strong healthy chicks and I just couldn't leave it at that. I certainly did not practice what I preach. I interfered.
:idunno
It is all your fault @chickengr. You convinced me I could do it.

I assisted one of mine and it came out with curled toes but within a couple days his toes were normal. I think it was the stress from the prolonged hatch. Hoping you have the same luck

Don't think I have ever heard that expression before....."throwing money in a hog's butt" must be a Kentucky thing. A new one for my repertoire. I could sell the eggs but I have a hard time asking money from friends and neighbors. They do so much for me. I do sometimes use them to barter.

that is the reason I plan to exchange eggs for milk and cheese.

I went off the path again and saved a chick. Of course..... I will pay. I could hear it chirping and I was getting ready to throw the eggs out. I went ahead and tapped around the egg with a knife. The shell peeled right off. Nothing stuck to the chick but he, yes he has curled toes. I have taped them but he hasn't gotten up on his feet and really shuffled along. I have him in a small brooder next to the one containing all the other chicks. I had 16 strong healthy chicks and I just couldn't leave it at that. I certainly did not practice what I preach. I interfered.
:idunno
It is all your fault @chickengr. You convinced me I could do it.

if he survives he will get strong later. give it some sesame seeds. it helps with curled toes and gives strength.

I'm just catching up and I see more pages to read so maybe someone offered something and I will figure it out in a moment

But isn't there some vitamin that you can give to assist that? I read it somewhere here before

sesame seeds help with curled toes. worked perfect for me. my (now) hen is strong, healthy and lays a lot of eggs. her toes got straight overnight and remain straight forever. she has never been sick.

He looks good, who is his mom and pop? Do you got pictures of them?

I know his sire is Maximus, and I'm pretty sure his dam is Lucille. I will check his wing band on my next day off. If he is off Lucille he will be valuable in my blue copper line if he matures out nice looking.

This is Maximus. Pardon his comb, frost bite damage. It is all healed up now and looks good but this is the most recent picture of him I have.

20180405_190628.jpg

And here is are some older pics of Lucille (blue copper).

20171111_132822.jpg

20171030_180633.jpg

I know his sire is Maximus, and I'm pretty sure his dam is Lucille. I will check his wing band on my next day off. If he is off Lucille he will be valuable in my blue copper line if he matures out nice looking.

This is Maximus. Pardon his comb, frost bite damage. It is all healed up now and looks good but this is the most recent picture of him I have.

View attachment 1410405

And here is are some older pics of Lucille (blue copper).

View attachment 1410404
View attachment 1410407
looking good. You got some real nice birds

I was struggling to get pictures to upload to byc on my phone earlier, but here they are finally. This is one of my cockerels that caught my eye today that has just blossomed into such a pretty guy! I love his long back and topline for now. Fingers crossed he stays this nice! He does have some leakage but not much and that is okay, some shafting too but his mass is good and he is a well balanced bird. Looking forward to watching him in the months come. :)

View attachment 1408857 View attachment 1408858 View attachment 1408859

Love this guy, he’s a dandy!

Back
Top Bottom