International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Sorry to hear you are thinking about getting out of Marans. I have been there myself. I have to say I love my Marans. I was not pleased with the ones I use to have but absolutely love the ones I have now. The ones I had before had different health issues. The eggs where not very good. I had never seen eggs with so much blood and meat spots in them. I know blood and meat spots are common in Marans eggs. They where excessive I couldn't even give the eggs away. All these things plus the yellow legs. I decided to start over. My new line so far have been much healthier and no blood or meat spots. They have been laying up a storm which is pretty rare for Marans and the egg color is still pretty good. Sorry for rambling! Anyways I for one would miss you if you got out of Marans.

aren't chickens powerful? they connect people from all over the world!

Sorry to hear you are thinking about getting out of Marans. I have been there myself. I have to say I love my Marans. I was not pleased with the ones I use to have but absolutely love the ones I have now. The ones I had before had different health issues. The eggs where not very good. I had never seen eggs with so much blood and meat spots in them. I know blood and meat spots are common in Marans eggs. They where excessive I couldn't even give the eggs away. All these things plus the yellow legs. I decided to start over. My new line so far have been much healthier and no blood or meat spots. They have been laying up a storm which is pretty rare for Marans and the egg color is still pretty good. Sorry for rambling! Anyways I for one would miss you if you got out of Marans.

I'm sure I wouldn't disappear completely. I may have to keep my Marans roo to keep making F2 Olive eggers. I definitely need to get a pic of those little pullets for you guys! They are very pretty! They are black, with almost a mossy look with bright copper hackles and a crest! One of the customers that got some from me a couple weeks ago was just talking to me last night about how much she adores them :)

I'm sure I wouldn't disappear completely. I may have to keep my Marans roo to keep making F2 Olive eggers. I definitely need to get a pic of those little pullets for you guys! They are very pretty! They are black, with almost a mossy look with bright copper hackles and a crest! One of the customers that got some from me a couple weeks ago was just talking to me last night about how much she adores them :)

I plan to breed olive eggers as well. I did some research and it seems after F3 they are just like easter eggers, you never know what egg they will lay. so you might need some spare marans for your olive egger project.

I plan to breed marans hens/british araucana and ameraucana (probably EE with 2 blue egg genes) roos. the reason is that maran's eggs are bigger than any blue eggs and I want olive eggers to be somewhat bigger.

I have 2 marans hens only that are worth breeding. the others are good for OE.

I finally managed to take some pics of my greek hooded chickens. here is my rich gene pool boy. he has a trace of barring next to his comb, incomplete colombian and who-knows-what on his wings:
View attachment 1658916 View attachment 1658917 View attachment 1658918

and the girls:
View attachment 1658919 View attachment 1658920 View attachment 1658921 View attachment 1658922

great looking chooks .love they colour and type .love the hens .
are they heavy or medium breed ?

well happy for you my friend .got your chooks .

chooks man

my new chooks are doing good .they are liking they new home .they can t not stop eating grass .
3 white recessive pullets 1 is laying the other 2 are 5 month old .all 3 have red leakage .but good body type.
2 pure white dominant pullets both laying . big type. wrong leg colour
3 cockerels 2 dominant white and Red Pyle gorgeous looking cockerel . problem only has one wattle .
sire of all those chooks .dominant and recessive white ,silver based rooster .small type and squirrel tail.
17 one weeks chicks .mixture of all type .few nice wheaten pullets and white too.

happy man , my marans flock is getting larger every week .
photos soon .lot of rain last 2 days .

chooks man

my new chooks are doing good .they are liking they new home .they can t not stop eating grass .
3 white recessive pullets 1 is laying the other 2 are 5 month old .all 3 have red leakage .but good body type.
2 pure white dominant pullets both laying . big type. wrong leg colour
3 cockerels 2 dominant white and Red Pyle gorgeous looking cockerel . problem only has one wattle .
sire of all those chooks .dominant and recessive white ,silver based rooster .small type and squirrel tail.
17 one weeks chicks .mixture of all type .few nice wheaten pullets and white too.

happy man , my marans flock is getting larger every week .
photos soon .lot of rain last 2 days .

chooks man

are you going to breed chickens with faults?

they are large breed . what colour is they eggs ?
how you are going to work with ? keeping them pure or crossing them ?

chooks man

their eggs are tinted/pinkish. about 70 gr.

I will keep them pure. I planned to get them recognized as a breed. someone warned me that greek people are against that. the reason: any sop birds require inbreeding which leads to health issues. they prefer their birds to be unrecognized but happy and healthy. I totally agree.

Back
Top Bottom