International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hello. I started with FBCM this year. It was an impulse buy and I'm still not sure they will stay. I like their calm nature, their large size and the egg color of course -though I've yet to see mine lay. They came from a private breeder who shows. I hatched them here. I only have one pullet and two cockerels. A snake killed my other pullet :mad: I know which cockerel I will keep if I stay with Marans.
What does the French standard say about temperament for a roo?

Oh I also have an "american" bcm. He is pretty awful as far as standard but he is puppy dog tame and super great with a couple of hens I gave him for company. I just can't bring myself to cull him.

@ Chooksman and @ kcrandall thanks for answering my questions

that is a lot of different hens and roosters, Chooksman. How do you keep all their names straight, and know who sired who and who is who's sister, brother, etc... know which hen gives her progeny which traits and who doesn't? How dark each hens egg colour is? Do you have spread sheets? I am completely amazed. My husband thinks it is amazing that I know the names of about 20 chickens that to him- all look sort of alike.
:lol:

I have a lot note books . every eggs .every chick are marked from where they come from .
every breeder chooks has they own spread sheet . all the information in it .
all the chooks are tugged and numbered .special ones have names .
lot work goes in to maintain all these note books up date .

chooks man

I had no idea Marans came in so many colours...and that you can breed two different colours together? how does that work? Can you use lets say, a cuckoo Maran who has a lot of great qualities, with say, a BCM ? Wont that just result in all culls?

not really having many varieties minimize the culling .what doesn t work for one variety will work with another .
some varieties we can breed together because they never mix ,they give different colored progeny .
Birchen rooster can be penned with silver cuckoo hen = all the cockerels will be dark cuckoo and all the pullets will be birchen .
BC rooster can be matted to BLC =half of the chicks will be blue other will be black .

only certain varieties work well together , some varieties are not advice to be mixed .

chooks man

Hello. I started with FBCM this year. It was an impulse buy and I'm still not sure they will stay. I like their calm nature, their large size and the egg color of course -though I've yet to see mine lay. They came from a private breeder who shows. I hatched them here. I only have one pullet and two cockerels. A snake killed my other pullet :mad: I know which cockerel I will keep if I stay with Marans.

Oh I also have an "american" bcm. He is pretty awful as far as standard but he is puppy dog tame and super great with a couple of hens I gave him for company. I just can't bring myself to cull him.

welcome ,we need photos please .sound like you have good marans large size. if they come from a show line .maybe they have a lot good traits .

chooks man

marans rooster is no different to other breed , they can be calm and gentle ,but some time there is some nasty one show up in the flock .
We just cut they heads . good medicine for them . never cause trouble after that .

chooks man

all my roosters /cockerels in they pens .looking good ,ready to breed .
P1130239.JPG
P1130255.JPG
P1130270.JPG
P1130331.JPG
P1130328.JPG

6 pens .
chooks man

ok. got i
not really having many varieties minimize the culling .what doesn t work for one variety will work with another .
some varieties we can breed together because they never mix ,they give different colored progeny .
Birchen rooster can be penned with silver cuckoo hen = all the cockerels will be dark cuckoo and all the pullets will be birchen .
BC rooster can be matted to BLC =half of the chicks will be blue other will be black .

only certain varieties work well together , some varieties are not advice to be mixed .

chooks man

Awesome. Thank you for this answer. I thought they would all get mixed up together. Didn't realize you can breed together and they wont mix. Cool beans!!

When you are ready to breed- do you put the hen in with your cock or the cock into the hen's pen--or do you put them in a "neutral pen" together, at the same time?

Do you leave them together for a week or two until you collect the eggs you want to hatch?or do you just let them mate and then remove the cock?

I know it has been said that a hen shouldnt be bred until after her 1st birthday.... what about a rooster? Can he be used for breeding at 7 or 8 months?

Back
Top Bottom