International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

marans rooster is no different to other breed , they can be calm and gentle ,but some time there is some nasty one show up in the flock .
We just cut they heads . good medicine for them . never cause trouble after that .

chooks man
Sometimes chopping the heads off is so difficult when they are good breeders. I still wish Blaze was not so mean.

View attachment 2337428
Is this cock a Red Pyle? Color is gorgeous!

yes my friend .but he is not pure yet .
proper Red Pyle pattern is better expressed on the e+ Wild type family genetic .
this cockerel is Ewh/e+ . I will mate him to his Dam to make a proper Red Pyle . so I m one generation away .

I have 3 of these cockerels all true brothers .
chooks man

ok. got i

Awesome. Thank you for this answer. I thought they would all get mixed up together. Didn't realize you can breed together and they wont mix. Cool beans!!

When you are ready to breed- do you put the hen in with your cock or the cock into the hen's pen--or do you put them in a "neutral pen" together, at the same time?

Do you leave them together for a week or two until you collect the eggs you want to hatch?or do you just let them mate and then remove the cock?

I know it has been said that a hen shouldnt be bred until after her 1st birthday.... what about a rooster? Can he be used for breeding at 7 or 8 months?

we can breed from a young cockerels but not from a young pullets .

I do pen the hens first in they pens before I introduce the roosters . the pens belong to the hens not to the roosters .

after penning the breeders I like to wait 2 or 3 weeks to start collecting they eggs .

chooks man

I found one of my BCM pullets last night when I went to shut up the coop. She was laying on her side, eyes closed, barely breathing. She offered no resistance at all when I picked her up. I brought her in the house, held her against my chest and wrapped her up like that till about 2 this morning. Then I wrapped her up in a blanket and laid her in the bed next to mine so I could try to sleep. She hasn't moved and barely chirped at all. This morning she opened her eyes breifly and opened her mouth for a second then went back to sleep. She's not shivering anymore. That stopped sometime last night while i was still holding her. I have no idea what went wrong. She's in a flock of 20 and none of the others are showing any distress. Is there anything I can do for her? I tried offering her some raw, scrambled egg. She wouldn't take it. I'm at a loss. Whatever is going on with her she's a little fighter and I want to give her every advantage in her fight. She's 5 1/2 weeks old.

IMG_20200918_102549.jpg

I found one of my BCM pullets last night when I went to shut up the coop. She was laying on her side, eyes closed, barely breathing. She offered no resistance at all when I picked her up. I brought her in the house, held her against my chest and wrapped her up like that till about 2 this morning. Then I wrapped her up in a blanket and laid her in the bed next to mine so I could try to sleep. She hasn't moved and barely chirped at all. This morning she opened her eyes breifly and opened her mouth for a second then went back to sleep. She's not shivering anymore. That stopped sometime last night while i was still holding her. I have no idea what went wrong. She's in a flock of 20 and none of the others are showing any distress. Is there anything I can do for her? I tried offering her some raw, scrambled egg. She wouldn't take it. I'm at a loss. Whatever is going on with her she's a little fighter and I want to give her every advantage in her fight. She's 5 1/2 weeks old.

View attachment 2338695

Unfortunately It could be just about anything. Are you feeding a medicated grower / starter feed? If not then it could be coccidiosis. If you suspect coccidiosis then treat using Corrid - mix 1 ml or cc of Corrid in 2 pints of water then feed the solution by syringe (without needle) until the chick is able to drink in its own. I place the end of the syringe on the end of the upper beak then squeeze a lfew drops at a time so the chick will swallow the mixture on its own.

If you don’t suspect coccidiosis then I would give the chick 0.5 ml of Vitamin B-12 and 0.5 ml of a multivitamin (TSC has Poultry Cell) by syringe once a day to help boost its immune system. Sometimes a vitamin deficiency can cause these symptoms.

Are there any other symptoms such as watery eyes, gurgling or crackling when she breaths, blood in her feces, etc.? I wish you all the best!!

Unfortunately It could be just about anything. Are you feeding a medicated grower / starter feed? If not then it could be coccidiosis. If you suspect coccidiosis then treat using Corrid - mix 1 ml or cc of Corrid in 2 pints of water then feed the solution by syringe (without needle) until the chick is able to drink in its own. I place the end of the syringe on the end of the upper beak then squeeze a lfew drops at a time so the chick will swallow the mixture on its own.

If you don’t suspect coccidiosis then I would give the chick 0.5 ml of Vitamin B-12 and 0.5 ml of a multivitamin (TSC has Poultry Cell) by syringe once a day to help boost its immune system. Sometimes a vitamin deficiency can cause these symptoms.

Are there any other symptoms such as watery eyes, gurgling or crackling when she breaths, blood in her feces, etc.? I wish you all the best!!
I do not feed a medicated food. However, the entire flock is currently being treated with Corid as a precaution because we found blood in stool of one bird in another of our coops. They are 8 days into the treatment. Regarding the Marans, they have not displayed any symptoms. Stools have all been normal.
We are now about 40 hours past finding her. She's still holding on. Last night I managed to drop a little bit of Nutri-drench on her beak. It was just a drop but she seemed to take it. This morning she's been opening her eyes, chirping a little, and responding to me. Right now she is sleeping with her head tucked (kinda) under her wing. She's still not eating or drinking but I made some oatmeal and she ran her beak through it. It was a reaction to me petting her. I think she swallowed a little but I'm not sure. It's much too cold outside to put her close to her flock for companionship. If she can hang on another day it's supposed to warm up tomorrow a bit. Keep those prayers going and fingers crossed. She's fighting! I'm calling her Diana.

I do not feed a medicated food. However, the entire flock is currently being treated with Corid as a precaution because we found blood in stool of one bird in another of our coops. They are 8 days into the treatment. Regarding the Marans, they have not displayed any symptoms. Stools have all been normal.
We are now about 40 hours past finding her. She's still holding on. Last night I managed to drop a little bit of Nutri-drench on her beak. It was just a drop but she seemed to take it. This morning she's been opening her eyes, chirping a little, and responding to me. Right now she is sleeping with her head tucked (kinda) under her wing. She's still not eating or drinking but I made some oatmeal and she ran her beak through it. It was a reaction to me petting her. I think she swallowed a little but I'm not sure. It's much too cold outside to put her close to her flock for companionship. If she can hang on another day it's supposed to warm up tomorrow a bit. Keep those prayers going and fingers crossed. She's fighting! I'm calling her Diana.

blood in they dropping is a sign of coccidiosis .
it is very risky not to feed a chicks medicated feed . I will no do that .
if you are not going to feed them medicated feed than you have to feed them a lot of boiled eggs and a lot of green .Apple cider Vinegar from day 21 after they hatch .

diana is fighting some internal parasites for sure .

chooks man

blood in they dropping is a sign of coccidiosis .
it is very risky not to feed a chicks medicated feed . I will no do that .
if you are not going to feed them medicated feed than you have to feed them a lot of boiled eggs and a lot of green .Apple cider Vinegar from day 21 after they hatch .

diana is fighting some internal parasites for sure .

chooks man
She's standing up!!!! I'm so happy to see her stand! I do give them ACV on a regular basis. Right now, it's just the medicated water with Corid. I'll ofer her some more eggs and see if she'll eat.

She's standing up!!!! I'm so happy to see her stand! I do give them ACV on a regular basis. Right now, it's just the medicated water with Corid. I'll ofer her some more eggs and see if she'll eat.

nice to hear she is standing up . boiled eggs are good for her ,she need energy .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom