International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Ok it is going to be rooster day this coming weekend, and I have to try and decide who stays for now, and who goes...Could I please get some feedback on these roosters and pullets. Chooks man- who should I pair with who?

This is Number 1. (no names yet) He is black, with copper ears. He is unrelated to all the rest (infact, he is in the next town over at a friends farm, but I can have him) LOL
IMO this cockerel is the best of the 3. He has a halo but otherwise his color is really nice and good type also.

And this is number 3. I know maybe he is too colourful?? ...But I have a pullet who is black and has very little copper on her neck, so I have been keeping this guy around to see if he would be good to pair with her?
This cockerel is way over colored. I don’t mind a good amount of breast color but he has leakage on his abdomen, legs and wings. If he was the only cockerel I had to work with then I would pair him with an all black BCM Hen of good type, nice comb, long back, proper tail.

This is my first BCM. He is growing up and I am interested in hearing feedback and trying to learn about the breed. I posted as a chick, but wanted to see him grow up a bit So I can continue to learn. He is 13.5 weeks. Not crowing yet, and has a nice temperament.
03D3C394-FED3-42EE-B1AB-F844FD8F10AC.jpeg
AA9DA65E-07B7-4019-AEA0-C803591F1AD6.jpeg
D422B663-D8B8-4735-9DA0-6AFAC9671FEA.jpeg

View attachment 2344211
View attachment 2344212
Little Clover (Drumstick x Daisy) is 7 weeks old today. Unlike her parents she is horrible to photograph as she is terrified of the camera. High tails is a problem with my 3, but so far to my untrained eye i think Clover is going to have a better tail set then both her parents.

I do like this pullet .great marans type .need to do more growing .

chooks man

I agree! Dark eyes I can deal with. I will take it a year at a time and not stress to bad about it.

Dark Angel is looking pretty good despite the molt. I am setting what few eggs I am getting from his pen. I had moved all the girls to one pen with a plan on giving them a break from the males. Then they picked back up laying a bit so I put Dark Angel in with all of them. I am setting what eggs I am getting as a last effort to raise a few more this year. Not single mated, but better than nothing.

View attachment 2344485View attachment 2344487View attachment 2344492

wow Dark Angel look like his sire Duke s but with a better uniform copper .
good luck with hatching some eggs from his pen .

chooks man

I simply mix the same amounts of dried oregano, basil, thyme and cayenne pepper and mix some with chick's mash. cheep and no cocci.

you really remind me of my mother and my grand mother .true Mediterranean chooks breeders ,oregano , basil ,hot pepper. boiled eggs ,any thing grow in the herb garden , bring it on .. great stuff .
before all these factory feed , that was the chooks diet in the Mediterranean area.

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom