International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Well no babies to bring home. I think he didn't like that I asked him what faults he has seen in his line??? OR maybe that I live so close to him? Not sure. Anyways.... I did find someone else 2 hours away with beautiful birds who only hatches from 7-9 colour eggs and said he would sell me some in the spring when they start laying again. So I will plan for that.

Gotta have a rooster day over here. Need to get my recently acquired rooster out of isolation and winterize my outdoor coop. Lots to be done. I also need to try out my homemade incubator sometime between now and Jan.... maybe with one of my Maran cockerels over CLB and other blue egg layers. They are still laying here and there. Want to make sure I use it a few times before trying to hatch out those eggs Ill hopefully be buying.

My pullet eggs from this week. Dates above them. Tried to group them into ones that looked most similar. What do you think? I think they are getting darker??

I really like the shape and texture of these eggs...classic Marans egg. Color appears to be darkening some. Marans egg color will lighten over the duration of the lay cycle. Color could be darker but that is always the case for Marans.

This is my first pullet to lay this season. Not very dark. I think they will darken some when the jets get going good. That happened last year anyways. First egg was long. Her second egg was better.

Attachments

• 20201007_211502.jpg
    20201007_211502.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 6
This is my first pullet to lay this season. Not very dark. I think they will darken some when the jets get going good. That happened last year anyways. First egg was long. Her second egg was better.

spotted eggs tend to darken. at least in my experience. I had a #4 very spotted first egg and later #5/6/7. mostly #5/6 just a few were #6/7. unfortunately no hens left.

Well no babies to bring home. I think he didn't like that I asked him what faults he has seen in his line??? OR maybe that I live so close to him? Not sure. Anyways.... I did find someone else 2 hours away with beautiful birds who only hatches from 7-9 colour eggs and said he would sell me some in the spring when they start laying again. So I will plan for that.

Gotta have a rooster day over here. Need to get my recently acquired rooster out of isolation and winterize my outdoor coop. Lots to be done. I also need to try out my homemade incubator sometime between now and Jan.... maybe with one of my Maran cockerels over CLB and other blue egg layers. They are still laying here and there. Want to make sure I use it a few times before trying to hatch out those eggs Ill hopefully be buying.

My pullet eggs from this week. Dates above them. Tried to group them into ones that looked most similar. What do you think? I think they are getting darker??

your pullets eggs look good .nice shape and no bad color too .
chooks man

P1130400.JPG
P1130399.JPG
P1130389.JPG
P1130388.JPG
P1130380.JPG

last night moved all the pullets {except group #6 } and older hens to they new coop in the big shed .12 m long X 6 m wide . easier to condition them and look after them one large group .
next door is my second group of 22 pullets group #6 my favorite one .
they where not happy this morning finding them selves without out door space .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom