International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

agree with you my friend .
no point in sexing BCM chicks if we are not going to use vent sexing .
me personally I like my hatch to be 50% each balance hatch .equal chances on both sexes , for me both sex are important .

chooks man
I’m with you on a balanced hatched. I think it’s easier to breed good pullets than cockerels so the more cockerels the more we have to choose from. We only need a few breeders so the rest can become layers or meat birds.

I’m with you on a balanced hatched. I think it’s easier to breed good pullets than cockerels so the more cockerels the more we have to choose from. We only need a few breeders so the rest can become layers or meat birds.
Not everyone wants to sex them to select breeding stock at an early age.... most of what I see would be to be able to sell as female at an early age.... I may be wrong?

Not everyone wants to sex them to select breeding stock at an early age.... most of what I see would be to be able to sell as female at an early age.... I may be wrong?

i think there is some truth to that. Most BCM Breeders I know only sell unsexed day old BCM chicks. If their clients only want pullets then they have to wait until they are 4 to 6 weeks old to be sure of sex.

i think there is some truth to that. Most BCM Breeders I know only sell unsexed day old BCM chicks. If their clients only want pullets then they have to wait until they are 4 to 6 weeks old to be sure of sex.
I can reliably tell gender at 8... or 10 months. Been fooled a couple times even at 7 months.... lol

BCM breeders could breed for feathers sexing . it is very reliable method . for this to be true cockerels lines and pullets line should be bred deferent .
cockerels line should be bred with Early feathering trait { Early Feathering Type }
pullets lines should be bred with Slow Feathering trait { Slow Feathering Type }

when we mate a Early Feathering type cockerel/rooster to a Slow Feathering Type hen/hens all the pullets chicks will be Early feathering type .they will hatch with 2 line of flight feathers .one line of long feathers and one line of shorter feathers.
cockerels will hatch with just one line of flight feathers
for this method to be true both lines cockerels and pullets have to be bred true ,other wise does not work .

Guess BCM have too many traits to select for .dark egg .good body type etc.............. so no body has a time to breed for feathers sexing .

chooks man

I marked pullets who were fast feathering in my line #2 birds. The 2 cockerels were slow feathering.

Line #1, Negan, is fast feathering.

When the time comes to breed, my plan is to eventually produce this trait for sexing.

Ok here how you can breed FFT and SFT from your existing flock . forget about other fault ,here we are only talking about the feathering gene for future chicks sexing .
Step one = year one = Negan FFT X pullets line #1 SFT = F1 mostly fast feathering type ,because we don t know what they are hiding . we only keep fast feathering cockerels from this pairing .
Cockerels line #2 SFT will be bred to Slow feathering type pullets regardless odd of the line .= we get F1 SFT pullets and cockerels .not all but high percentage I think . we only keep SFT pullets from this pairing .
now we have .F1 FFT cockerels from Negan s pairing and we has F1 SFT pullets from Cockerels line #1 pairing .

Step 2= year 2 = we pair the 2 best F1 FFT cockerel { Negan } to the best F1 pullets { Cockerels #1 } = we will F2 FFT pullets and F2 SFT cockerels .they can be sexed at hatch .

chooks man

Ok here how you can breed FFT and SFT from your existing flock . forget about other fault ,here we are only talking about the feathering gene for future chicks sexing .
Step one = year one = Negan FFT X pullets line #1 SFT = F1 mostly fast feathering type ,because we don t know what they are hiding . we only keep fast feathering cockerels from this pairing .
Cockerels line #2 SFT will be bred to Slow feathering type pullets regardless odd of the line .= we get F1 SFT pullets and cockerels .not all but high percentage I think . we only keep SFT pullets from this pairing .
now we have .F1 FFT cockerels from Negan s pairing and we has F1 SFT pullets from Cockerels line #1 pairing .

Step 2= year 2 = we pair the 2 best F1 FFT cockerel { Negan } to the best F1 pullets { Cockerels #1 } = we will F2 FFT pullets and F2 SFT cockerels .they can be sexed at hatch .

chooks man

Thank you. Awesome info.
Line #1 pullets are fft. The whole line was. I would have noticed any slow or medium feathering.

So that means i only need to work on line #2 for fft? Or still both lines?

Thank you. Awesome info.
Line #1 pullets are fft. The whole line was. I would have noticed any slow or medium feathering.

So that means i only need to work on line #2 for fft? Or still both lines?

for this trait FFT you need both lines .
line #1 to produce FFT cockerels .
line #2 to produce SFT pullets .
cross between the 2 lines in the right order { Cockerel FFT mated to Pullets SFT } will produce sexed chicks at hatch with feather type .

if I was you I will no worry about this traits now .I ll keep focus in fixing the body type and dark eggs color .

chooks man

for this trait FFT you need both lines .
line #1 to produce FFT cockerels .
line #2 to produce SFT pullets .
cross between the 2 lines in the right order { Cockerel FFT mated to Pullets SFT } will produce sexed chicks at hatch with feather type .

if I was you I will no worry about this traits now .I ll keep focus in fixing the body type and dark eggs color .

chooks man

Ahhhh. Yes. I get it.

You are right.
Body type and egg color first.

I will keep this information though because while breeding what i have, i may just get the opportunity to do it.

Back
Top Bottom